Lets suppose we had free speech

#1 - Jan. 1, 2013, 9:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I dislike something about the game and feel the need to express my frustration and dissatisfaction.

I do so in logical yet harsh language. Why would you require me to couch frustration in cheery terms? I could say dev so and so is a lazy so and so. Or I could say it sure would be nice if dev so and so worked harder.

They both say the same thing. Yet one may get me banned and another merely downvoted.

It's pretty easy to see what the attitude from moderators are in the forums. I would liken them to censors who want a glowing but false picture of what the game is.

I can tell you if these forums were my way of deciding if I was going to try the game out first time I would see all the complaining and the long term unresolved issues and decide it wasn't worth the money or effort.

I don't need a moderator to decide for me what is relevant or properly worded. I resent the ever present arbitrary ban hammer in the forums. Short of outright obscenity or encouraging folks to cheat or worse yet harass each other IRL, we don't need moderators erasing our posts.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - Jan. 1, 2013, 9:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is a discussion forum. If you're unable to post in a civil manner without breaching the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines to allow such discussions to take place, please take a deep breath to let passions simmer down, and take a break from the forums.

You'll retain the ability to continue to participate in future discussions and be able to thank me later.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Jan. 1, 2013, 10:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/01/2013 01:52 PMPosted by Bolgar
This is a discussion forum. If you're unable to post in a civil manner

Am I to take this means that my original post is considered uncivil? I really must lack any social skills because I see nothing uncivil in it.

Thanks for partial quoting. The other half of the sentence before it got cut off specify that "If you're unable to post in a civil manner without breaching the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines to allow such discussions to take place, please take a deep breath to let passions simmer down, and take a break from the forums."

You are free to post as you wish. I am advising that those posts remain civil without violating the Code of Conduct or Forum Guidelines (You failed at that actually for discussing forum moderation, but I'm giving it a pass.)

P.S. I'm not a moderator. It's one of the many tasks that I undertake.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#89 - Jan. 1, 2013, 10:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The discussion didn't take long to derail. Locking the thread.

Take away: Don't confuse honesty with honestly being a jerk to fellow forum goers. Be nice to each other, abide by the rules, look both ways before crossing, and we'll get through 2013!