Does reporting really do anything?

#1 - Dec. 7, 2012, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Long story short, there's a level 80 spammer on my server who frequently advertises services such as Honor grinding, powerleveling, cheap gold, TCG items, etc. all for RL money of course. They have multiple characters all named variations on the same thing, one for each type of service of course. They offer a website and even tell you to add their skype name, these people are not trying to hide or afraid of being banned.

I report the characters every time they spam of course, as I assume everyone else does. Yet every day I log on and there they are, sitting at level 80, happily spamming away. So I report them again, and again, and again. Yet, nothing.

I understand Blizz gets a lot of reports but how does it really get this bad? Do they not get enough reports? Has everyone ignroed the spammers and have stopped bothering? Does Blizz not tally the # of reports and think hmm lets check em out.

I dunno, but i like to think I'm helping the system by doing my part to report. I've been on the bad end of it, hacked accounts, stolen gold, the works, It's no fun, and spammers like this make their "cheap gold" this way. I certainly would hope my effort made a difference. And if it's not, if someone could point me to a better way to actually do it. I'm happy to provide character names to a CS rep if needed and such, if it would help.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#11 - Dec. 8, 2012, 2:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/07/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Lumah
I understand Blizz gets a lot of reports but how does it really get this bad? Do they not get enough reports? Has everyone ignroed the spammers and have stopped bothering? Does Blizz not tally the # of reports and think hmm lets check em out.

It is entirely possible that not enough folks are reporting it, Lumah. Are you certain it is the same characters or perhaps just the same names? A common tactic is to delete a character after it has been used to spam.

12/07/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Alastair
The new right click system? nope does nothing

I believe there are many out there that would disagree. Namely those who may have violated our policies, been reported appropriately and had action taken against the account because of it.

Doesnt do anything as far as ive seen. They pay their 15 bucks a month so blizz doesnt really care.

We care a great deal actually. Paying a subscription fee grants you access to the account, you still are asked to abide by the policies that we put forth. If you violate those policies penalties may be applied to the account.

Keep in mind that these reporting systems are social in nature, meaning that it may take more than a single person reporting in certain cases.

That doesn't mean these systems are perfect, we continue to monitor how they work and will continue to make adjustments to improve them. It is import to continue to use them though, as our investigations are based heavily off of those reports.