Will there ever be a major graphics upgrade for WOW?

#1 - Dec. 4, 2012, 2:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So Blizzard have updated the graphics somewhat with each release of World of Warcraft, but will we ever get a decent upgrade or overhaul of the graphics engine?

World of Warcraft has its own unique style which most people love but it definitely wouldn't get lost in a graphics upgrade, just look at the Cata and MOP intro videos! They're obviously far superior to the in-game graphics we experience each day but they still feel like WoW, just WoW to the extreme.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a WoW with a graphics engine and style somewhere in-between the two? More advanced than what we have now but not taking it as far as an extreme upgrade?

Something closer to FFXIV graphics, where the character models look more like the ones in the MOP intro etc? Who wouldn't want Orc and Human characters that looked more like that?

I've seen people beat down suggestion like this before but if Square Enix can screw up and re-build an entire game in a year and a half why is it such a ridiculous suggestion that Blizzard give WoWs graphics a complete overhaul?

After all they've been in the business a long time so I'm sure if SE can afford to completely rebuild a game Blizzard could afford to upgrade the graphics engine! I'm also pretty sure they could work out how to make the new engine scalable to still work on old systems, which is one of the good points of WoW for many players.

Love WoW, this isn't some hate or troll thread but really wish they would update the graphics.

After all I haven't invested my time and money into WoW all this time for Blizzard to leave its graphics in the dark while they work on Titan's, what if I don't like Titan? Maybe I just want better graphics from WoW!

Edited for typo
Forum Avatar
Community
#17 - Dec. 4, 2012, 5:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
If the game had received absolutely zero graphical updates since release, I could definitely get behind the idea of a complete revamp. But that's really not the case. There's been a steady stream of updates over the course of WoW's existence. A huge number of models and textures have been improved. Yes, character models are still on the to-do list, but we've acknowledged that many times and have said we're working on them. I'm as eager to be sharing news on that with you as you are to hear it, trust me :)