Way Too Much Hand Holding Crap in 5.1

#1 - Nov. 28, 2012, 1:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Big splash alerts on my screen when CC'd, an "Are you sure?" box when leaving groups, and orange raid text in a party that nobody ever sees in a chatbox filled with orange DBM text.

Blizzard. Remove this crap. If player's don't understand what snares and roots are, they shouldn't be playing video games.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - Nov. 28, 2012, 1:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/27/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Stormtides
Blizzard. Remove this crap. If player's don't understand what snares and roots are, they shouldn't be playing video games.

On the subject of "hand-holding", there is an option to disable the Loss of Control UI. Just uncheck the box titled Loss of Control Alerts in the Combat section of the Interface menu.

For many others, these are useful user interface elements.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#26 - Nov. 28, 2012, 1:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/27/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Vail
I don't see what's so useful about it. Yeah, I'm CC'd... what else is new.

Some CC is obvious; others, such as Silences or Disarms are somewhat less obvious. We wanted to better communicate when these effects take hold, which is what the new UI element is for. Some players prefer a visual cue and a precise timer regarding when a crowd control effect will end to better plan their next move.

As I said before, if you don't find it useful, you can easily disable it, or configure it to only communicate information that you might find useful.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#51 - Nov. 28, 2012, 2:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/27/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Vail
Well. No offense but there's certain addons that already did that and did it a lot better.

We've added quite a lot of functionality over time that duplicates the effects of useful or popular addons. Naturally, there will be players that prefer the control or customization that those addons offer, but it doesn't hurt to provide a similar option in the default UI.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#75 - Nov. 28, 2012, 3:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You can turn it off so it doesn't show icons/timers in the middle of the screen, but even if it is turned off you can not see the cooldowns of abilities on your action bars.

I'll certainly make sure that feedback is passed on.