Policy that needs to be addressed

#1 - Nov. 24, 2012, 11:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was told by an in-game GM to address my concerns to developers via the bug forum, as my particular issue was a bug. However, there is a sticky in the bug forum that says temporary bans will be given for voicing opinions in their forum, so here I am.

So my initial issue was a bug in the Learning the Ropes quest. This is the first quest you get from a pet battle trainer, I got it from the trainer in Stormwind. The quest is to win one pet battle, I have won over 25 pet battles, logged out and abandoned and won battles and nothing has worked. I sent a petition and got a response that it is a known bug the developers are aware of. I was surprised they didn't just credit me with the quest so I could continue on with the pet battle chain. I sent a follow-up ticket to a GM, which did get addressed quickly, and they told me it was the developers policy not to give credit for bugged quests. I asked why this policy exists, as it has been done for me in other games. They did not know why it existed and once again told me to voice my concern to the developers.

My question to the developers is why I, a paying customer, should be penalized and unable enjoy new pet battle content on my weekend? Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?

I realize my $15 a month is not consequential to Blizzard and with big companies comes an apathetic attitude. I recently returned to the game and while I find WoW one of the best MMO's in terms of gameplay the customer service aspect is probably the worst. I'm sure right now a developer's attitude reading this is good riddance we don't need you. Please address my issue and look at me as not just a cog in the wheel but as a human being. It's not the matter to which this infinitesimally small issue affects my life. It's the apathetic attitude to which I am treated by your company that matters.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - Nov. 24, 2012, 11:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/24/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Maliant
So my initial issue was a bug in the Learning the Ropes quest. This is the first quest you get from a pet battle trainer, I got it from the trainer in Stormwind.

Issues with the beginner Pet Battles quests are being thoroughly investigated and addressed either through hotfixes or with upcoming patches. The process for fixing a bug can take some time, but from what I can see, our teams are on top of getting these resolved as quickly as possible.

11/24/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Maliant
Why does the policy of being unable to give quest credit for known bugs in quest chains exist?

It's not as simple as flipping a switch. These types of changes to characters are rather complex and since this particular quest needs to be addressed for more than one player, we would rather fix it so everyone can benefit from it being bug-free.

11/24/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Maliant
Exactly my point, why do they drive their policy decisions and not the consumers? I mean I have a good guess, because customers don't have enough influence.

Let's not lose sight of the purpose of these forums. Here is where you find hundreds of thousands of ideas and suggestions, many of which we absolutely take to heart and discuss with developers. There have been countless changes to the game based upon player feedback and having this venue as a melting pot of ideas has been invaluable.