Resilience and duration of Crowd Control mechanics

#1 - Nov. 23, 2012, 9:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello community!

I was thinking about what a lot of people complain recently and that is the duration of Crowd Control in pvp. Then an interesting idea came to my mind. Why not make Resilience reduce the time a player spends CC'd?

For example: You have 50% resilience rating and get hit by an 8-second fear. That would mean that the duration of fear is cut in half, resulting in 4 seconds of fear.

Some would say that this way CC would be almost useless, since resilience will reach over 70% in the future. Then I can propose that pvp power also increases the time of CC by the same amount, until the cap of 8 seconds.

This way a if a player with 60% resilience gets feared by a player with 35% pvp power, he will receive a 60-35= 25% reduced fear, that is 6 seconds.

What do you think of this idea?
Forum Avatar
Community
#9 - Nov. 23, 2012, 12:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That is quite an interesting concept, but it appears to take something that is and should be quite simple, then makes it incredibly complex. It would be quite difficult to know how long you will be CC'd or CC'ing for in a match because it would vary from player to player.

There would be other issues with such a system too, what if a player had more PvP power than the other person had Resilience? Say a Human Warrior (purely theoretical) that stacks PvP power and is using Titan's Grip, they can get approximately 53% PvP power and they face someone just getting into PvP having only 40% resilience. They will be stunned by any of the Warriors CC for 13% longer :(

You could change the "8 second cap" to be "capped at skills base PvP duration", but other issues could possibly arise too. Maybe there would be technical limitations on such a system or Resilience may out scale PvP power making CC almost useless and vice versa.

We have said previously that we are content with the current state of crowd control, but it is really cool to see more on how you would all like to see CC function in PvP. Just because we are okay with how CC works right now doesn't mean we are not open to feedback from the community on the subject, so feel free to add your thoughts in this topic. :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#12 - Nov. 23, 2012, 12:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
23/11/2012 12:44Posted by Pathos
We have said previously that we are content with the current state of crowd control,

Yeah, prepare to get flamed. The current state of crowd control is making people quit left and right. It's really sucked the fun right out of this game.
I will say something that was said last time we mentioned that we are content with the current state of CC to try and prevent this. It is something I already touched on in the last post.

23/11/2012 12:41Posted by Nakatoir
Just because we are okay with how CC works right now doesn't mean we are not open to feedback from the community on the subject, so feel free to add your thoughts in this topic. :)
So we are not against making changes to how CC works in PvP right now, we are simply content with how it works at the moment. We fully understand that there are some players that are frustrated by CC right now and if you have thoughts or feedback on the topic, feel free to discuss it here.
Forum Avatar
Community
#41 - Nov. 23, 2012, 3:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
23/11/2012 15:50Posted by Sybille
Say a Human Warrior (purely theoretical) that stacks PvP power and is using Titan's Grip, they can get approximately 61% PvP power

Hmmm, no?
PvP power on weapons are unique.
Indeed, my apologies. I have now corrected my first post to reflect this, been a long week :p