Help
Regional FlagAPI & Server issuesSource
avatar
Kaelum
Target Source
#1 - 2012/09/30 12:49:00 AM
I've been trying to update my API library today, and have been running into the following issues:

1. Authentication will randomly fail with 500 Invalid application signature errors, which never used to occur.
2. Random 500 series errors with both API and non-API responses.
3. Random 404 errors with both API and non-API responses.
4. The BattlePet Species API is returning duplicate "id" nodes for each item in the "abilities" array.

There may be others as well, but I think this is enough to say that something is definitely wrong.

avatar
Blue Poster
Target Source
#4 - 2012/10/01 11:55:00 PM
Can you let me know what regions you're getting all of this in (us.battle.net, eu.battle.net, etc)?

When you say Random do you mean requests work sometimes and fail other times?

When you say both API and non-API responses, what do you mean? Do you mean that you aren't getting json responses sometimes?

For the BattlePet Species question, is this happening on certain species or any of them? I've never seen this happen before. Your other issues can all be server related, but this one is strange. I'll keep my eye out for it happening.

When you say the entire structure is different can you show an example? The api examples are run through some json pretty-printing so that the fields are in alphabetical order and stuff but the examples are generated directly from the API so if there are large differences can you link to some examples?

avatar
Blue Poster
Target Source
#6 - 2012/10/02 04:14:00 PM
Certainly.

I've only used the US region.
When I request some character limited by a field, say,

http://us.battle.net/api/wow/character/Cenarius/Cosine?fields=items

json returns "nok": "Internal server error."

But sometimes it will return fine on one character, like Cosine in the example, but not on another. However whenever I've queried a character not limited by fields, it will always return the base data properly.


I know this doesn't mean anything but this morning I'm not able to get an error by repeatably refreshing that link. The site is also responding quickly instead of slow and sluggish like it was last night. We did some small server upgrades to the US/KR/TW api servers last night. If this solves it let me know.

I'm still doing some profiling, improvements, bug fixes and error log checking this morning as normal so if there is still a problem let me know what you're seeing and we'll try to take care of it.

avatar
Blue Poster
Target Source
#8 - 2012/10/03 04:28:00 PM
I don't remember exactly which of the sub-sections of the Challenge API it was, though it was probably the first listed. I ended up just doing multiple requests and running a JSON to C# class converter to get a general idea of the structure, and went from there. What I ended up with appears to be working, but it was completely different from the sample data that I was looking at.

On a side note, it would be nice to have available a more text based version of the documentation as well. That way I could keep a copy in version control and see the differences much easier.

Thanks...


As far as the structure being completely different an example would help. Again the examples in the documentation are generated from the API so I would love to know if something is off. The examples structure looks correct to me so any details would be great.

The api documentation is just a markdown readme file hosted on github (linked from the generated html version as well): https://github.com/Blizzard/api-wow-docs