I am absolutely dumbfounded...stupified..

#1 - Sept. 29, 2012, 1:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
...that after all these years Blizzard still hasn't figured out a way to have scalable content in their game so that even at level 80, 85, 90, whatever the max level was at the time, you could still do the instances and raids in the game and they would scale to your level. What an absolute waste of content to spend all that time making it and then just let it fade away.

They should spend a year on figuring out how to scale it so all that content is available to us. That would be better than any expansion if you ask me.

Other games are figuring it out. Why can't Blizzard? Why WON'T Blizzard?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#13 - Sept. 29, 2012, 2:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Character and item level scaling as you're referring to is tech that was actually added in Mists of Pandaria. This tech is what allows us to have a feature like Challenge Modes, in which we can scale your gear down to a specified level. The same is fairly easily applied to character levels.

Have we done everything we could possibly do with this tech? Absolutely not.

Do we want to throw it into everything we can just so players can run whatever they want at any level, without regard for a specific reward structure or progression system? Absolutely not.

As an example, we'd love to implement a feature where you could, say, at level 90 group up with a friend who's level 15 and run Deadmines together, and the dungeon difficulty for both of you would be relatively equivalent. But we're not going to do that before figuring out a proper system for rewarding both the high- and low-level players for their time.

We've also discussed the idea of allowing players to, for example, form a raid group of 10 players at level 90, enter Karazhan, and be scaled down to roughly level-70 character power.

This type of tech is great, but we can't throw it around arbitrarily just because we have it. We need to carefully consider ways it can be incorporated into a fun system that still feels rewarding in some regard.

It's safe to say the scaling in Challenge dungeons is just the beginning. (Another example on the horizon is Proving Grounds.) If these types of features are successful, and we see players calling for more scaling to allow them to run content without just zerging/overpowering it, we'll absolutely look at additional ways it can be applied -- what I said above should be more than a hint that we already are. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#22 - Sept. 29, 2012, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
09/28/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Eviloven
Would that mean that if it were implemented, that we would no longer have access to the soloable raid content? Or would this be an option? Similar to Normal/Heroic modes.

Those are exactly the types of questions we've been stockpiling and pondering internally when it comes to brainstorming how tech like this can be applied to different facets of the game!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - Sept. 29, 2012, 2:54 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It's not only stat scaling people. Talents have been reworked extensively. Considering that 1-70 content had a a lot of threat mechanics, pots were on a general cd, buffs stacked, aoe tanking was risky without discipline, crushing blows...

You are talking about retuning every instance in the entire game.

This is also a great point I forgot to mention in my first post. If we literally just said, "okay, everyone can run any dungeon or raid and you'll be scaled to its intended level," it might be fun for a while, but it'd feel very broken, inconsistent, and without direction. We need to offer proper support for such a system so that there's some kind of consistent gameplay, which means it's not a trivial task -- as I said before -- such that we can just loosely apply the tech to the affected area and expect healthy results, hehe. :)