Hey guys, I've been hard at work updating the api documentation. Here's a summary of the changes coming to the API tomorrow, and some of the updates we're planning for very soon after launch.Biggest Breaking Change
In order to avoid confusion later on, and to keep things in sync with the game, we're going to change some of the character field names:
- pets is now going to be hunterPets
- companions is now going to be pets
- The data in both as well as the data in mounts is changing (with more information)
The api documentation has been moved from docbook to plain markdown. Hopefully this makes it easier to edit and contribute to. If you guys have any ideas or changes that you want to see in the documentation please let us know. You can directly submit pull requests to github or just post here on the forums. I don't mind github issues being opened, but please keep those limited to issues with the api docs and not the api itself.Docs http://blizzard.github.com/api-wow-docs/Repo https://github.com/Blizzard/api-wow-docs
The documentation has been updated with new examples for all apis. Please give it a read and let us know if you have any questions. We want to improve this documentation as much as possible.New Features
These will be added to the API tomorrow:
- Challenge Mode realm and guild leaderboards will be added. Character profile and region leaderboard will be added very soon.
- Battle Pets are now included in the pets field of the character profile. Their stats, custom name, favorite status and other information has been added.
- Battle Pet Slots information is now added as the petSlots field of the character profile. This contains information about your current battle pet group and their chosen abilities.
- Battle Pet APIs have been added letting you look up the data about a certain species or ability. We also allow you to look up what stats a pet would have depending on their level, breed, quality and species.
- A Pet Types data resource has been added
- A very miminal Spell API has been added. Please let us know what other data you'd like to see here
- A list of items ids have been added to the ItemSet data.
- Item SubClasses have been added to the item classes data resource
- A talents data resource has been added with specs, talents and glyphs for each class.
As always there may be bugs in some of the new features and other changes may have snuck their way in. Please let me know if you have any questions about all of the new data. Hopefully the examples in the new api docs make the data formats for the new API's clear.Upcoming changes
These are changes that are currently in the works:
- As mentioned above, we will be adding a region challenge mode leader board as well as challenge mode information into each character profile.
- One of the next things happening to the game site is a revamp of the progression system. Due to many bugs and account-wide achievements the current system is in need of some work. We will be tackling this very shortly. This will include adding some date and LFR information to the progression character profile field.
- Some account-wide achievement data is not being pulled into the game site (resulting in inaccurate achievement total numbers). We will be looking at this very soon after the launch.
- Static data: we are looking at a way to provide some large json data dumps of the static data contained in this API. These data files would be updated about once per large game patch. The idea is that you can download one static zip file that contains a bunch of json data so that you don't need to use the API for battle pet species, item, spell, achievement and data resources. If you have something you want to see be included in this please let us know. I don't have an estimated time for this but it is something I'm actively trying to make happen as soon as possible.
That's about it for tonight. These changes should hit the API tomorrow. I'm very sorry for the late notice regarding some of the breaking changes, but it's been busy over here (as you all can imagine). Please let us know if there are features you want, or changes to the documentation that would help out!Edit
: Added talent data to the new features instead of upcoming, it was added.