Help
Regional FlagWarlockSource
Saelene
Target Source
#0 - 2010/05/08 01:52:36 AM
I guess here's where we talk about relearning our class mechanics.

I logged in last night with my 80 Warlock and was greeted with "Your talents have been reset" so I went to find a trainer so I could re-establish a grinding spec... Only to find that there was no Warlock trainer in UC. (I haven't looked anywhere else yet.)

I also noticed that there were three Soulshard icons underneath my character frame, but my SS Bag with 20-some shards was still in my inventory. My graphics then glitched out and I /exited only to have the client hang (known bug I guess) so I didn't even have a chance to cast a spell or summon a minion.

Any other immediate observations?

Any idea when we might see some elements of the new SS mechanics?

Blue Poster
Target Source
#119 - 2010/07/02 05:47:52 PM
Q u o t e:
Q u o t e:
I actually wonder about that tooltip because it says our affliction tree is 60% finalized, yet most of the stuff is exactly the same. Is the 60% referring to the internal build Blizzard is using at the moment or do they consider the affliction tree to be mostly finished in its current state?

Internal I do believe GC said.

Yeah, we probably should have removed those notes. What was happening is that developers would want to do a dungeon or BG test or something and occasionally picked classes that at the moments had their guts ripped out. For example, there might not be enough talents in the tree to get down to the bottom talent. We tried annotating the talent trees so people would have an idea of what they were getting into. A "60% complete" talent tree would suggest that they might still see a lot of broken stuff. I wouldn't give those numbers a second thought as an alpha / beta participant.

Warlock talent trees still have a long way to go.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#893 - 2010/09/11 05:35:17 PM
We're trying to keep under control the healing abilities of the non-healing classes. Since healer mana is supposed to matter now, self heals become much more potent than they are on live. Warlocks were always intended to sacrifice some health to restore mana, and then restore that health through drains and health gain effects. As WoW aged, that gameplay diminished. On live, you generally Life Tap because of the glyph, and expect overpowered heals to just heal you up. For Cataclysm, we’re boosting Drain Life’s damage and healing and making Life Tap stronger so the lock has more control over his resources.

Affliction is intended to have an edge over the other specs in terms of how much health they gain, through Siphon Life, Death’s Embrace and Haunt. The other specs also have some mechanics to reduce their need to Life Tap / Drain Life such as Mana Feed and Soul Leech.

That said, numbers aren’t final yet. We’re boosting Siphon Life in a future build, but then again we’re also reducing Drain Life’s heal restore. We’re also tuning Life Tap to consume less health, and give more mana for that health consumed.

The new Nether Protection change is designed to give the warlock more control over when Nether Protection procs, instead of it happening in the background with an ICD. If the boss is about to hit you really hard with a Frost spell, you can Nether Ward and count on Nether Protection happening, whereas before it could or could not proc randomly.

Pets: For Affliction, the Succubus and Felhunter will do comparable DPS. The Felhunter will probably come out with a slight DPS edge. But if you were doing an encounter such as Heroic Anub, you would use the Succubus over the Felhunter and you see only a minimal DPS loss. For Demonology, all pets will do similar DPS, but the Felguard will have an edge on fights that require AOE. But you could use an Imp on a Patchwerk-style fight and see a minimal DPS loss vs the Felguard. On the other hand, an encounter like Heroic Freya would make the Felguard shine. For a heroic dungeon, the Succubus helps with crowd control. Keep in mind these are goals, and may not reflect the numbers in the current beta build.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#1225 - 2010/09/30 03:16:43 PM
The design intent of Searing Pain (and Mind Spike) is for these abilities to be used in situations where threat doesn’t matter, such as soloing, PvP, and where different adds spawn that aren’t really affected by threat (such as Snowbolds on ToC as an example, or when players are ensnared in something that has to be broken out of from damage etc.) Or, alternatively, on those rare occasions where a caster tank is optimal.

We agree that BoA is problematic with Pandemic, and we may end up removing it.

Before Shadow Embrace and Haunt, we really couldn’t tune Affliction DPS to be competitive for fights where there weren’t several adds to DoT up. The intent of Haunt and Shadow Embrace is to increase your single target DPS while not making your multi-DoT damage overpowered. This is the same philosophy behind Grace, and most other limit-one, ramp-up effects. The alternative would be to make UA, BoA etc. limit one. But I’m sure that would not be a popular change. :) We to grapple a little with the perception that these talents are supposed to be an overall dps nerf rather than a single target dps buff.

We're considering having Molten Core proc from Immolate and just removing the Soul Fire part of the talent. We want to make sure Demo's dps isn't entirely balanced around the execute phase of a fight.