An alternative end game - a focus on the journey

#1 - July 24, 2012, 3:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So, since we are in the quiet period, waiting for the expansion, I once again started thinking about leveling a new character. Problem is that I have a level 85 of all classes, and really dont know what to do with another, more than for the pure pleasure of leveling through the content. (And unfortunately in my view the content is not very challenging, it is more about story and less about challenging fights and a dangerous world)

I think there could be room for another type of end game, for those that like the journey more than the destination, and want to experience the content at the appropriate level and a slower pace. The rewards would have to be different however to avoid being required for the current end game (raids, arena, BG), i.e. cosmetic and/or role play only.

As an example how it could work:

When reaching level cap a player can choose to let a character be reincarnated as a level 1 copy on the same server.

The original character can still be played to experience end game content.

A focus on the journey and experiencing the content, therefore the reincarnated character has a reduced experience xp rate, no rested xp and no heirlooms can be used. Though introduction of a "reduce dps by x% and increase xp by y%" item would be nice to encourage group play (starting content in cataclysm is ridiculously easy). Possible to level through PvP though for those that prefer that.

When reincarnated character reaches same level as the original both characters are merged and a special glyph section is opened, an example of such a glyph could be slightly increased/decreased body size.

Repeatable: A chosen glyph can be disabled, but only way to add a new is to reincarnate again.

Alternatively, instead of a special glyph section a reward could be that an additional minor glyph slot is opened up per reincarnation.

Benefits:
Structure and reward system needed, the rest is reuse of existing content. Available as an alternative end game between patches and expansions. It would have been nice to have a reason to level a new character now for example, maybe then my guild would have had more than 3 people online at one time.

Focus on low level items, with no heirlooms and longer time spent each level this means crafting of low level items will be important and BoA archeology items might actually be useful. The current rush through the level means that gear is very temporary and only used very briefly before outleveled.

More low level world pvp since more people of appropriate level in each zone, and spending longer time in each zone.

TL; DR Please consider providing a reason/incentives to level a new character even when player already has that class at level cap.
Forum Avatar
Community
#8 - July 24, 2012, 4:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just for the sake of curiosity, since there're mentions about focusing on the journey and never getting to the destination...

What's the point of a journey that doesn't lead to a destination? I mean, the reason why you start it is (or it'd be expected to be) to get, eventually, to a destination. But a journey is not a journey unless you're going somewhere. And if that somewhere remains costantly in a distant, unachievable vacuum, then what purpose does that journey serve? (I'd argue you could call it a journey, even, if you're never getting where you want to).
Forum Avatar
Community
#67 - July 25, 2012, 10:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
24/07/2012 18:16Posted by Miylee
Perhaps you should try traveling for inspiration or for simple enjoyment, and not for the sole purpose of reaching a destination?

That's what I meant, there's a goal, a reason for any journey (even if it's just having fun).

24/07/2012 18:25Posted by Valarius
Can we get a CM who isn't Draztal? Every post I read he/she is just dodging the actual point to argue on one minor detail. Here we see arguing semantics.

I'll try to word better my posts next time. I'm definitely not arguing semantics (why would I, since I'm not even a native english speaker in the first place).

24/07/2012 19:33Posted by Nzall
Draztal, judging from that comment, i see you've never had a long walk in your town at night, or in a forest during the autumn, or on a mountain during summer.

I have, I definitely have. And I had a reason for doing them. The intent of my post yesterday was rather phylosophical and not about specifics (in those cases you're walking because either you like it, for the relaxation, or something else).

24/07/2012 19:50Posted by Doomsinger
I'm normally highly fond of your posts in particular Draztal, however this one doesn't sit right with sentimental old me. How about we say life is the journey, and death is the destination? I don't know about you, but I'll take my time and enjoy the ride rather than eagerly anticipating my arrival.

Way to go to the extreme, hah! To be fair, I get your point. My question was just from a "philosophical" point of view. And this particular case mentioned by Andrai is kind of what I was looking for:

I know with austerity and the price of fuel in Europe people don't tend to do this any more. But, when I first started driving and fuel wasn't bank breaking. I used to just jump in the car some weekends and drive. Anywhere.

The journey had NO destination. Yet, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I'm certainly not dismissing Straif's post, this bit:
24/07/2012 16:46Posted by Straif
A focus on the journey and experiencing the content, therefore the reincarnated character has a reduced experience xp rate, no rested xp and no heirlooms can be used.

Was what made me post here. It's a valid point for that journey (experience the content). However I've seen other players (not in this thread, though) arguing that they like the journey when they know they can't get to the end. And that's where my post comes from.

In one hand you have people that want a journey and they actually know why, there's a reason to it (a destination, even if it's not necessarily getting to the end of the road). In the other hand, you've got people that say they want that same journey, but when questioned about it, they can't really put into words why they want a never-ending journey.

And that's what my question was directed to. Would there be any fun to a never-ending journey that is actually there just for the sake of not letting you reach the destination?