Stance on key-translators within World of Warcraft

#1 - July 11, 2012, 3:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Dear member of the Game Master team,

I have a pretty lengthy question, and my latest GM conversation directed me to this forum, so here it is ;)

Last week, I have developed a third-party script for WoW-players to 'script' mundane tasks within WoW, such as Prospecting or Disenchanting. Just to be clear: this script is not a Lua script and operates outside of WoW.

The script allows one to translate a keypress or a mouse movement to a keypress within WoW.

This can be used to create the following situation:

A player is browsing the web. During that situation the player is behind the computer with World of Warcraft active. A mouse movement is also made in that situation. The script 'grabs' the mouse movement, and sends one keystroke to the WoW client. So, there's still a one-to-one press, but it's systemwide.

To make this accesible for everyone, I've developed an application called WowHelper (I'm still not sure about the name). It currently only works for Mac OSX, but I'm porting it to Windows and Unix as we speak.

The source is freely available, but for openness' sake, here is the Python script that allows a player to do this:

Code removed by Blizzard Community Manager, unfortunately.

This means that after 4 seconds, it'll check for Mouse Movement, and translate that mouse movement to a keypress in WoW. So, when the player is not behind the computer, the mouse will not move, and a keypress will not be sent.

I've looked at the the End-User License Agreement, and I found that the following pieces do not prohibit me from using this application:

Section 2, subsection B:
Use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience.

It is not a cheat, not automation software, not a hack, not a mod, and it doesn't modify the World of Warcraft experience in any way.

use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, "mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information about a character or the game environment; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces;

For this, it doesn't need to read any areas of the RAM. It just uses systemwide-API's to send key presses. Just like pressing a real key.

So. Now that I've explained my real situation: What is Blizzard's stance on this? Am I allowed to use this?

I can understand if this is a bit of a difficult question, so I am willing to help out with any questions you may have!

Feel free to message me or respond here.

Many greetings,

Matsy
Forum Avatar
Customer Service
#56 - July 12, 2012, 8:27 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello Matsy.

This is an interesting debate you started here, and I certainly admire your intent. However, we cannot comment on each and every script/macro/add-on that our community generates, nor do we officially support or 'sanction' any 3rd party applications. Therefore, while I realise this is not the 'blue' response you are looking for, my personal and professional advice to you is 'if in doubt, keep out'.

I'm willing to leave this thread open for further discussion, but you may also want to discuss the matter with other script enthusiasts here in our Interface and Macros forum.