Sigh Blizzard, yet again Horde wins

#1 - April 19, 2012, 3:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have watched 2 videos of the Panderen introductions to the horde and the alliance.

When a Pandaren enters the Alliance, you walk around with Varian as he talks to you about your new duties and who your enemies are, then afterwards you spar with Varian as a test to see what you can bring in combat. All you do is auto attack as he dodges/parries all of your moves until you get 1 hit in, then he falls down and admits he hadn't fought like that in years.

When a Pandaren enters the Horde it's basically the same with talking about new duties, but instead of sparring with Garrosh, you enter an arena and fight 3 giant bosses with 4 other pandarens by yourside.

Alliance gets a few seconds of sparring, Horde gets epic arena death match.

Sigh at Blizzard
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#240 - April 19, 2012, 6:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The factions aren't meant to be carbon copies of each other. If you're drawing comparisons to every piece of content in the game and are of the opinion that Horde have it better, maybe you're playing on the wrong team.

There's nothing wrong with it. Garrosh could use more fodder for the front lines and you sound pretty anxious to be at the forefront of all the action. ;)

I have watched 2 videos of the Panderen introductions to the horde and the alliance.

When a Pandaren enters the Alliance, you walk around with Varian as he talks to you about your new duties and who your enemies are, then afterwards you spar with Varian as a test to see what you can bring in combat. All you do is auto attack as he dodges/parries all of your moves until you get 1 hit in, then he falls down and admits he hadn't fought like that in years.

When a Pandaren enters the Horde it's basically the same with talking about new duties, but instead of sparring with Garrosh, you enter an arena and fight 3 giant bosses with 4 other pandarens by yourside.

Alliance gets a few seconds of sparring, Horde gets epic arena death match.

Sigh at Blizzard

04/18/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Doromil
A level whatever Pandaren's combat skills are on par with a major lore character?

that's how weak Varian is

No, that's how strong and special you are as a pandaren, but your combat skills are not on par with Varian's just because you got a jab in. When Varian asks to spar he mentions that he's never actually seen pandaren combat techniques in person. He gets caught off-guard by one of your jabs and it surprises everyone, including Varian himself. But he mentions it's exciting to him! He shows clear respect for his new allies -- an admirable quality in a king.

It's the spaghetti western* equivalent of him rubbing his hand across his mouth to find evidence of blood after being punched once by his enemy, just before smiling about it and ripping his opponent's heart out in one fell swoop -- except he doesn't go that far since it's just sparring. :)

If you're still worried that Varian is a weak king, I guess you can sit back and wait to watch more videos from the beta out of context. I'm sure you'll eventually see him kicking !@# and taking names!

But again, I suggest you decide what race and faction really appeals to you and focus a little more on what you enjoy about the game. You think it's cooler to be thrown in an arena for a match to the death to prove to your new leader you're worthy? Awesome! We have a faction for that. It's not the Alliance, however, and we're not going to mold them into a copy of the Horde just to reduce the amount of quibbling on the forums. If you feel these kinds of threads are helping prove your case, I assure you they only reaffirm for us that we need to ride with our passion of making the coolest game possible, where players can pick from two distinct factions and several different races depending on their personality and preference.

*Okay, I admit it. I was actually thinking of Dumb & Dumber when writing that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#327 - April 19, 2012, 7:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/19/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Opalbreeze
Zarhym, I hope with all my heart that this doesn't mean that player feedback is being devalued (honest question, sometimes I misunderstand english). Player feedback can be combined with your professional-game-makers instincts just fine.

Good feedback is always welcomed! In fact, for those testing the beta, we need more of it over on the beta forums.

What we need more of though is people testing gameplay features and reporting feedback and bugs. What we need less of is people watching video beta streams from the sidelines and marking tallies on a Horde vs. Alliance chalkboard to determine who's in the lead.