Hunter pet abilities?

#1 - April 6, 2012, 6:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
My spirit beast pet seems to only have the basic abilities, Spirit mend, growl, claw, cower, avoidence and spirit walk. Theres no heart of the phoenix, rabid, spiked collar or anything else for that matter. I know beta is early but is this just one of the things bugged out or was this intentional? I mean so many missing talents/ ablities that the pets seem to be perform horrible in my opinion
Forum Avatar
Game Designer
#6 - April 7, 2012, 5:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Since the system is currently a little hard to ascertain in beta, I'll try and summarize the basics. Hopefully we'll have this working in a build or two.

• Every pet has 3 specs: Ferocity, Tenacity and Cunning. These work much like class specs, with a similar UI.
  • Pets come with the spec you'd expect (Ferocity for kitties) but you can change it. If you want a tanking cat or a DPS crab, you can. If you have a favorite pet, you can just always use that one and swap the spec around.
  • I hope to see A LOT of DPS crabs.
  • Each spec comes with 2-3 active and 2-3 passive abilities. We took a careful look at what pet talents most hunters were taking and tried to take the best of those. Things like Roar of Sacrifice, Last Stand and Heart of the Phoenix made the cut.
  • We didn't think we were getting a ton of gameplay out of the pet talents on live -- players interacted with them even less than the class talents -- and we didn't think pets needed the full tiered system like the Mists talent implementation, so we decided the best way to offer pet customization is to let hunters choose their pet mostly because of how it looks (and its one special ability) and not from its role.