Low populated server - solution

#1 - March 20, 2012, 10:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong area. I'd also like to say I suffer from dyslexia so there may be a few punctuation / spelling errors due to letters getting mixed up :( let me know and I'll sort them out :)

Now I have recently started playing again after about a year break and when i left my realm was full most of the time, trade chat was always full of people talking, always people looking for raid ect. Now i've returned its always 'low' or 'normal' and it is soooooo empty. It takes the fun out of the game and after some research it seems to be a common problem.

I was thinking for solutions and all of which involve the current service 'free character migration' moving your character to a low populated realm. I can't imagine many people use this feature however as it means leaving anyone you know on your current server, and personally I start making friends with players in orgrimmar or in any guild i join at a very early stage in the game, FAR before level 85 which the low population really takes effect.

My solution? Simple really, I have a few ideas targeting a few problems with low pop servers, the first being VERY simple and proven VERY effective.

1. Merge some very low populated servers. Simple enough right? Not sure why blizzard hasn't started this already, my only thought is that when most games do this it is down to the game 'failing' so maybe blizzard is looking for other solutions to not feel quite so bad since IMO the game is far from failing.

2. A simple way to help resolve the issue with alliance or horde outnumbering the opposing faction is a FREE faction change, offing a small reward such as some conquest points or valour points to help you strengthen that faction with your presence :) Obviously this will only be available to the faction that is of the higher population.

3. This is a little more complicated but I personally believe it to be the most effective solution. I think its safe to say MOST players on these high populated servers at level 85 are in a friendly guild that raid frequently. My idea doesn't force them to abandon that, quite the opposite.

Introducing 'FREE *guild* migration', Yep much like the free character migration this service will off the WHOLE of your guild a free move to a much less populated realm. This alone is NOT enough however, I propose every 6 months or so, whenever the realm population is at its greatest, blizzard aim to move 3 guilds from one of the high populated realms to one of the low ones, in essence making it a normal - high realm. keeping track and balancing the alliance / horde ratios. On top of that there MUST be an incentive to make these guilds go through the hassle of each player accepting a realm move, So again I thought I'd try and solve it.

When your guild master accepts the guild transfer each member will have an opportunity to 'accept' the move with the guild, for close friends in the guild there's simply no choice, most will move without thought, but for others and for more incentive for the guild master you will also be greeted by the following message 'After the successful migration to your new realm, you will be rewarded with a CHOICE of ONE of the following:

A. 2 pieces of the current 'highest level' tier set for your class - this will give the player a chance to get a few pieces for a new spec, or get 2 pieces of a set they have been trying to get in those pesky raids for months.

B. 1 weapon of 'raid' quality - This will offer a similar incentive as above

C. 2 pieces of 2200 rating pvp armour, or 1 2200 rating pvp weapon without the need for a 2200 rating - Great for any PVP guild really.

D. unique mount ONLY obtainable with a free guild migration - Something really epic along the lines of the ashes of al'ar but not currently in the game, not ANOTHER re-textured drake, something completely new, this will be of interest to any player, even those not interested in raiding or pvp

It also should be noted that any of these rewards can be picked up by ANY of the players characters ON THAT NEW REALM, current or future, but ONLY ONCE. Another thing to note is any alts the player has on the old realm will also be transferred IF they are also in the guild being transferred.Sorry for the long thread, thoughts on my ideas? :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#4 - March 21, 2012, 3:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There is already a thread discussing this exact topic, please provide your feedback relating to low population and unbalanced realms here to avoid duplicate threads: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2986509135