Spoilers too soon?

#1 - March 19, 2012, 1:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I mean I know in BC, Wrath, Cata we knew what the end boss would be and such, but I was thinking its kinda...I dunno....anti climatic now that we know how MoP is going to end (with Garroshes death).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - March 19, 2012, 3:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/19/2012 06:27 AMPosted by Timat
I mean I know in BC, Wrath, Cata we knew what the end boss would be and such, but I was thinking its kinda...I dunno....anti climatic now that we know how MoP is going to end (with Garroshes death).

We run into a couple problems with the idea of keeping this a secret. As you mentioned, everyone knew who the end bosses were for the previous expansions. This set an expectation for each one. You could argue that this had to be done since the storyline was largely based on getting to that end boss and killing them.

But, either we don't say anything now and expectations go a different direction than we intend, or we tell people and "spoil" it. There's not going to be that same direct path to an end boss (at least initially) to get people prepared the same way as you were for Arthas or Illidan, or Deathwing. That said though, I don't think that, in the end, we're spoiling anything.

The news is out there now and we can focus first and foremost on getting to Pandaria and exploring it (while killing new and exotic creatures) and secondly, we can get right to the real enemy (war itself) after we've run amok there and caused all kinds of havoc with what should have remained a relatively tranquil place in the world.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - March 19, 2012, 3:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/19/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Drailen
By Blizzard deciding to come out with this, this tells me that the writers(or Blizzard itself) has so little faith in their ability to tell the story that they would rather just spoil their own plot twist rather than rely on their story telling capabilities to tell it.

While I can understand you're upset, this is your personal inference and isn't what we're thinking at all. The story will unfold itself how it unfolds whether you know who the end boss is or not.

As always, we welcome constructive criticism, but only as long as it stays constructive.