Ignore PvP any longer?

#1 - Feb. 29, 2012, 1:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
From the looks of things PvP might as well be removed from the game considering the state it is in. The first pages of the arena section, the rated battlegrounds section, the damage dealing section, and the class sections of the forum show considerable amounts of insight (if the thread is valid) about why PvP is unbalanced. However, these go ignored by the entirety of Blizzard. This is not a thread complaining about forum blue attention. Their attention should be focused on the "Hug the player above you" or "Would you kiss the character above you" threads.

This is to show that there is little (nothing is a better term) being done about PvPs current unbalancing issues. Recently (about a month ago?) the first blue poster since 2010 posted in the arena section of the forum commenting on how the current PvP situation was a "L2P issue" and that "watching videos will make you a better player". Sure that the current gladiator ranked players have watched videos of their fellow players to learn tactics and get better. Sure they learned to play their class and got better. The problem with that is this is not the issue. The issue is classes becoming too powerful with talents that were not nerfed to compensate for increasing gear levels and weapon damage while resilience provided little help to soften it. WoTLK should have been a good example that classes become very powerful when decked out in end game armor and weapons (mainly roflmourne wielding warriors). So what does Blizzard do? They slap two more zeroes to the back a players health and say that will soften kill times and should alleviate PvP anxiety.

Wrong: players do upwards of 20k damage against 4.6k resilience targets. Problem? Only when this game was once considered to have a competitive PvP environment that could be taken seriously. A class that brings an incapacitate, 2 stuns, a instant LoS, an instant peel, and blind should not also bring the best DPS to the table without counting the best DPS CD in the game on the shortest CD (without regarding shadowdance). It has happened before and has resulted in the lose of subscribers that usually don't comeback because it leaves the food poisoning taste in their mouths: why would they want to return to a game that could mess it up again? Why risk paying money monthly when they might screw up again?

And what have the developers done to fix this? So far it is "working as intended". Casterclysm is at a point where the developer team has basically said "just fix problems that rise up and wait until MoP since that will fix it." Why change more aspects of the game when there will be a massive change anyway and people will have to get used to that? Why bother nerfing rogues, mages, ferals, and other OP classes that get free rides and lose their subscriptions because they don't want to play this game anymore? It's kind of obvious that they don't want to change anything else when so much will be changed in another 6 months, so it seems like they will just sit on their cash and wait for another million subscribers to fan out before releasing MoP. Chances are that will crash too from the looks of it. Unless Blizzard solves the problem of PvP balancing right now, there won't be much of a reason to keep playing a poorly balanced game with the thought that the developers don't care.

What can be done to balance the game? For starters, lets look at the things that are broken:
Frost mage: shatter damage is far too high, and can halve the health of 5k resilience targets easily in a single deep freeze. Nerfing the overall damage to frostbolt and icelance while keeping frostfire bolt the same would require mages to be a lot smarter with their freezes. They are frost mages, and should do most of their damage on frozen target, but not to the extent that it globals them. Frost mages were nerfed earlier in the xpac, but that was because they were one shotting demolishers in SoTA, endlessly freezing people, and doing retarded amounts of damage. No wonder so many people left during the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
Rogue: the simplicity of their nerfs was so easy that it made people wonder why Blizzard even bothered nerfing vial in the first place; they might as well have buffed frost mages while they were at it in regards to their "PvE damage being too low". Find weakness has been the reason why one rogue spec dominates PvP and outnumbers nearly every class in all arenas 2 to 1, some by an even larger margin. Find weakness and a rogues up time on a target is the reason why they are so OP, and nerfing their damage is as simple as the same nerf warriors received. Why this has not been done is a mystery to me. Recuperate is also the best self heal in the game currently, and reduces the rogues damage by 6%. Since they have it up 90% of the time, they can swap out PvP pieces for PvE pieces for extra damage. Unfortunately those PvE pieces were Vial of Shadows and the free epic daggers. It is very disappointing on Blizzard's part to see something so powerful so easily obtained with the excuse "we want all players to see the content".
Feral druids: I know very little about them, but their damage is above significant. With a dodge chance that verges on near total avoidance to throw down at expertise cap for PvP, to instant undispellable cyclones gained through their normal DPS rotation, they have consistent damage and utility that makes them unbalancing. Their bleeds also tend to complicate things, hitting for more than a Gurthalak tentacle. Nerfing their bleeds and damage would put them in line.

These are just a few pointers to what needs to be done. These are the bare necessities that need to be done to this game that I have managed to accumulate over the 2 months of reading the arena section of the forum. Gladiator level players, average joes, scrubs, noobs, along with decent yet not pro level players have contributed to the collection of these assumptions. Now something can be done to fix this game and stop a increasing level of subscribers from leaving, or we can just look at the "hug above player" threads and contribute nothing to what seems the eventual end of the world...of warcraft.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#123 - Feb. 29, 2012, 10:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm not going to go point by point right now, but I do want to reassure you that we're not ignoring PvP. We're definitely aware of the concerns that players have and like much of the current development, are working on many things for the future of World of Warcraft (as a whole) and Mists of Pandaria. With the press tour coming up in March, we can hopefully be able to get you a better look at what we have planned and how we're planning to address things such as the PvP concerns that people have and have been expressing. I'm not going to promise that we'll "fix" everything that everyone has concerns about because that's not something we can ever guarantee, but we will be keeping a close eye on all of the (constructive) feedback that we expect you will have. We also look forward to when we'll be able to get community members into the beta test (when it occurs) to give it a first-hand look as well.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#136 - Feb. 29, 2012, 10:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm not going to go point by point right now, but I do want to reassure you that we're not ignoring PvP. We're definitely aware of the concerns that players have and like much of the current development, are working on many things for the future of World of Warcraft (as a whole) and Mists of Pandaria. With the press tour coming up in March, we can hopefully be able to get you a better look at what we have planned and how we're planning to address things such as the PvP concerns that people have and have been expressing. I'm not going to promise that we'll "fix" everything that everyone has concerns about because that's not something we can ever guarantee, but we will be keeping a close eye on all of the (constructive) feedback that we expect you will have. We also look forward to when we'll be able to get community members into the beta test (when it occurs) to give it a first-hand look as well.

Ok.

What do you have planned for PvP before the next expansion, which is still at least 6 months away?

It's too soon for me to go into any specific PvP plans, changes, or time frames as of yet. But we will be.

For those who are falling back to "Next expansion pack will fix it" as a complaint-- The most I can say is that this is the cycle of MMO development. As you also know, we've generally made changes that affect the game as a whole available to anyone regardless of whether they have purchased the new expansion pack or not as well as add content that is available via the expansion. That said though, I'm not making any guarantees of anything at this point in time, but I want the door left open for the possibilities. We'll be doing our best to explain all of this in the near future as I've mentioned.

Will you please confirm that those of us on PVE servers who

Do not want or care for 'world pvp"
Rolled on PVE servers to be able to play in peace and be left alone

will not find themselves forced into pvp, will not find the guards nerfed so the gankers and griefers can lock down quest hubs and npc's at will.

I can't address these concerns for you right now, but we're aware of them and as I've mentioned in prior posts, we want to make sure what we're doing allows for PvP without infringing on those who are not as interested in taking part. The devil (as always) is in the details, however and we'll make sure to share those details with you all when we can so we can get your feedback.