Disenchanting in Dungeons in Patch 3.3

#0 - Oct. 28, 2009, 6:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As we mentioned in the recent post explaining the new Dungeon System, disenchanting will work a little differently in all 5 player and raid dungeons when patch 3.3 is released. We have seen a consistent pattern where players eventually need very few items from dungeons and they result to disenchanting as much of the loot as possible since those materials that can be obtained continue to have a lot of worth.

When the new Dungeon System is launched, the default user interface will give players the option to automatically disenchant items that they obtain in 5 player and raid dungeons. This option will avoid the hassle of having items picked up by an enchanter first to redistributed later and overall will make the process much smoother.

Also, with the inclusion of cross-realm-instancing in the dungeon system, there will be restrictions on trading items similar to the restrictions that are currently active in Battlegrounds. If the Dungeon System is used to complete a group for a dungeon then non-temporary items will not be able to be traded in the instance. This makes it so items like enchanting materials will not be able to be traded in the dungeon and using the new user interface option will be the only way to distribute disenchants. There will be some exceptions to this restriction though as Bind-on-Pickup items will continue to be trade-able to those present for the kill for a short duration and completely pre-formed groups that don’t use the Dungeon System to form the group will still allow trades.

To maintain the importance of the profession itself, the disenchanting UI option will only be available for groups that have a character with the necessary level of Enchanting to disenchant the items that are obtained.

We are very excited about the upcoming improvements in the new Dungeon System and don’t forget to check out the full preview here for all the details: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677771774&sid=1
#186 - Oct. 28, 2009, 8:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thankfully the "Need" option trumps Disenchant.

New policy for every run I lead will be for all to roll need on greens.

I believe the Need before Greed loot option will be the default in these dungeon runs as well so that will limit the number of items that can be needed on to some degree.
#216 - Oct. 28, 2009, 9:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

...And it will shortly thereafter be switched to master loot.

People want to govern what happens to loot in instances themselves. People believe they can make judgment calls that an automated loot system can't, this is the same reason enchanters don't want you to force the use of part of their profession (which has the possibility of being used against their will). Simply put, people want control.

The old enchanting system had 0 problems. The change you're adding adds convenience, yes, but brings problems to some enchanters. Simply allowing it to be toggled off by the enchanter gives us the best of both worlds.

Maybe some people will want to change the looting system, sure, but I haven't run a dungeon (pug or guild run) that hasn't just used group loot and redistributed any disenchants for as long as I can remember - so I'm not sure how many people out there are out there for the control factor.

We will continue to monitor feedback on the system on the PTR and make changes if we feel they are needed.