Tom Chilton phone interview

#1 - Dec. 20, 2011, 4:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/arts/video-games/star-wars-the-old-republic-vs-world-of-warcraft-online.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Most important, these persistent games populated by thousands of simultaneous players — they are called massively multiplayer online games — generate real-life relationships and communities.

Then blizzard is contradicting themselves by creating something like raid finder. Which kill the social aspect of the game and hurts the community.

“What we’re trying to do now is figure out what our current audience wants,” Tom Chilton, World of Warcraft’s game director, told me by phone last week. “It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hard core, as it had been in the past.”

Here let me figure out the current target audience for you.

1.) Casuals
2.) Hardcores

Everything you do for the casuals the hardcores hate because it cuts deep into all the hard work they have put into the game. Everything you do for the hard cores the casuals hate...we'll mainly because they are spoiled brats that just want handouts.

Which would you rather cater to blizzard?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#55 - Dec. 20, 2011, 8:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Here let me figure out the current target audience for you.

1.) Casuals
2.) Hardcores

Everything you do for the casuals the hardcores hate because it cuts deep into all the hard work they have put into the game. Everything you do for the hard cores the casuals hate...we'll mainly because they are spoiled brats that just want handouts.

Which would you rather cater to blizzard?

It's a false choice, though I'm glad you're not responsible for interpreting for us "what the current audience wants." :)