Thoughts on 12694 prot warr talents

Forum Avatar
#0 - Aug. 5, 2010, 10:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So what do we all think of the latest prot tree and talents for warriors?

I really like this tree, early access to warbringer is fantastic for leveling, while the newly empowered gag order deserved to be moved.

Heavy Repercussions *New* - While your Shield Block is active, your Shield Slams hit for an additional 50/100% damage

^^ I love this talent, one of my favorite things about playing prot is using the shield block>shield slam combo to line up a huge shield slam, especially at the beginning of a fight for an early threat boost.

Impending Victory - Using Shield Slam on a target with 20% or less health has a 100% chance to allow the use of Victory Rush but that Victory Rush only heals for 5% of your health

^^ While I like the idea of this talent, I don't like how it works right now. Specifically what I have a problem with is that Victory Rush is only usable after a SS. In the midst of a boss fight I'm usually spamming my buttons according to muscle memory. With debuffs to track, boss abilities to watch out for, my health to watch, cooldowns and everything else happening in the raid, suddenly adding a new button to my rotation that is only available after another ability is used seems like too much.

What I'd prefer is something like this:

Impending Victory - Victory Rush is now usable when your target is below 20% health, but only heals for 5% and now has a 6 second cooldown.

OR - When your target is below 20% health, a Sword and Board proc allows you to use Victory Rush or Shield Slam. VR only heals for 5%.

The idea of the second suggestion is to allow warrior tanks to make a decision between threat/damage and survival during a fight.

Thunderstruck is now a Tier 5 talent. Up from Tier 3. Revamped - Improves the damage of your Cleave and Thunder Clap by 3/6%. In addition, your Thunder Clap improves the damage of your next Shockwave by 5/10%. Stacks up to 3 times

^^ This is interesting, but I'm not sure if it changes how a warrior would tank multiple adds. And does this mean that only targets that have been hit by my thunderclap get hit harder by shockwave?
#40 - Aug. 5, 2010, 5:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Atm tanking heroics on beta is pretty difficult.

In fact, you might say it's impossible. Literally. :)
#52 - Aug. 5, 2010, 8:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We just didn't like the direction we were heading where every tank had an ability to guarantee that incoming adds would head right for them, and every tank had an ability to do reflective damage that had literally no decision or skill on the part of the tank to employ.

Use your Consecrates, Shockwaves, Swipes and Death and Decay when they would have the most impact, not on cooldown. Get adds to stick to you because you use abilities at the right time, not because once a mob hits you, you generate free threat.