Blizzard and Key Loggers

#0 - Oct. 18, 2007, 5:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There are literally a plethera of utilities out there that can scan your computer, check processes, warn you of security risks etc etc etc. . .

Why can blizzard not impliment a piece of software or even a check box or button in the actually game client, be it on the log on page or on the opening splash screen you see before you hit "play" if you have your client set up that way.

It would not take that long to develop, test, and impliment.
With all of this hub bub going on about keylogging and account compromisation I believe it would be in Blizzard best interest to think this out and maybe give a shot.

Yes the person should still watch what the click and where they go on the internet but accidents do happen.

I began to think of this option after my account was compromised without clicking on any links or going anywhere on the internet because I am one of those super careful people that is scared of the world.
I will not even go to thottbot. If it does not have blizzard of worldofwarcraft in its name I refuse to go there.
However..somehow I got one..but it a hidden link or a link that hit my computer that said blizzard and then forwarded me there so I would not know the difference.

Anyway, Just a thought.
#8 - Oct. 18, 2007, 6:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The game already performs a scan on launch that will alert players if a known program is found that may capture their account/password. It's not going to find everything of course, it isn't making assumptions as some actual virus scanners are able to, it specifically compares to a list of known trojans that target World of Warcraft players.

It is not a replacement for a dedicated and frequently updated anti-virus/trojan though. Especially because it does nothing to prevent or remove said trojan/virus, it's purely an early warning system and shouldn't be relied on as the only means of protecting your computer.

More information on protecting yourself can be found on our Account Security page here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20572
#67 - July 23, 2010, 7:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Locking this thread. Please don't bump excessively old threads as the information contained may have changed with time.

For assistance with an account compromise please post on the Customer Service Forum.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?sid=1&forumId=11112