We want the devs to "get" factions.

#1 - Nov. 30, 2011, 7:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With regards to the latest Developer Watercooler.

Your audience, actually, is not as inattentive as you seem to think it is.

Conflict is necessary for growth? Struggle begets strength? Without great hardship, there can be no great story? You don't say.

These are obvious to anyone who has ever read a book beyond Go Dog, Go! but it's not the point. Nor is counting territories lost, conflicts won, defeats suffered the point. And this is why these threads continue to exist: you either refuse to see or just don't actually get the point.

We recognize that struggle is necessary. We, the Alliance, want the struggle. We want the conflict. We want the fight. We want the hardship.

We aren't getting any of it, though.

And that's the real heart of the issue: the Alliance just aren't getting anything. We aren't getting the story, we aren't getting the quests, we aren't getting the content. I don't care if we technically won Ashenvale because we got a few words of text saying we did, rather than actually getting to experience it. I don't care that we lost Andorhal because we just got a few words of text saying we did. I care that all I'm getting for my questing experience is a few words of text.

The fact that we seem to lose for reasons pulled out only for plot devices is just a sigh. The earnest frustration comes from the fact that we just don't get anything.

Win or lose, our struggle is a footnote. Our conflict is a subplot. Our greatest leaders' primary purpose is to be a quest NPC for the Horde to kill.

This is what you refuse to get. This is why people doubt your ability to write a convincing story. Because, frankly, you're not showing that you actually understand the problem.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - Nov. 30, 2011, 8:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
These are obvious to anyone who has ever read a book beyond Go Dog, Go! but it's not the point. Nor is counting territories lost, conflicts won, defeats suffered the point. And this is why these threads continue to exist: you either refuse to see or just don't actually get the point.

We recognize that struggle is necessary. We, the Alliance, want the struggle. We want the conflict. We want the fight. We want the hardship.

I think you're speaking for yourself here, because dozens of capped threads have been made on the exact points Dave brought up, and you claim no one is concerned with.

I can appreciate if you don't believe those things are important, but many people obviously do, and so they were mentioned in the article. If that's all you took away from what was said though, I'd recommend taking a second read-through.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding as they say, so I don't expect anyone to get super excited over us just saying it's going to get better. We'll have to do the work and make it happen, and I can't really offer you anything other than a request that you take a wait and see approach.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#16 - Nov. 30, 2011, 8:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/30/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Furiursa
Impatient or not, SEVEN YEARS of character development leaning FAR more heavily on the Horde side of the equation gets a bit ridiculous ya know?

Did you play Wrath of the Lich King?

I understand Cataclysm has been horde heavy in some respects, but let's not rewrite history.