In-Game Ad For WotLK

#1 - Nov. 30, 2011, 5:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm a new player who only owns through BC (Battle Chest). As of this patch, I now have a persistent ad banner on my character select screen that heralds the wonders of WotLK, and gives me a big fat button to go buy it.

Don't. Like. I KNOW there are more expansions to purchase. I don't need to be CONSTANTLY reminded in the game. I hate LotRO and Turbine for constantly advertising to players in their game, and that's a reason why I'm here.

People say in game forums that Blizzard pioneered the arms race to no-integrity in MMO's with the space pony, etc. Are they trying to catch up with the competition? Will I see persistent Diablo III ads on my load screens next?

~Somewhat disgruntled customer.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - Nov. 30, 2011, 5:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm a new player who only owns through BC (Battle Chest). As of this patch, I now have a persistent ad banner on my character select screen that heralds the wonders of WotLK, and gives me a big fat button to go buy it.

Don't. Like. I KNOW there are more expansions to purchase. I don't need to be CONSTANTLY reminded in the game. I hate LotRO and Turbine for constantly advertising to players in their game, and that's a reason why I'm here.

People say in game forums that Blizzard pioneered the arms race to no-integrity in MMO's with the space pony, etc. Are they trying to catch up with the competition? Will I see persistent Diablo III ads on my load screens next?

~Somewhat disgruntled customer.

It's not meant to annoy anyone. It's simply there to make the process easier for those who would like to know how to upgrade when and if they are ready to. In many cases, we found that some people were having a difficult time figuring out where they needed to go to upgrade when they wanted to. That said, I'll pass along your feedback.