My honest reaction to the Pandas

#1 - Feb. 23, 2011, 2:56 a.m.
Blizzard Post
which is the better back enchant for us?
#1 - Oct. 26, 2011, 7:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This is post-capped. Continuation thread here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424687553#1

I was one of the many who purchased a Blizzcon Virtual ticket.

I was with my roommate, watching the Opening Ceremony Friday night. When the trailer played, I was sure it was a joke. I figured that since the "Mists of Panderia" trademark thing had leaked, they decided to prank us and then say "Nope, jk, heres the real xpack."

Even the racials seemed to be trolling. But the "jk" never came. Blizzcon kept rolling forward full steam and it hit me: The Pandas were for real.

My first words to my roommate were "I think I might actually be done with WoW." My roommate, sometimes wiser than I, said "I dont know yet. What if it turns out so be a lot of fun?"

So, over the next two days, I sat with my friends and watched all the panels and interviews. I payed close attention to what was said and tried my best to be unbiased. And, it happened slowly, my opinion changed.

Blizzard has given the Panderan a rich culture and a specific way of thinking. A history that goes back beyond the sundering with their own struggles and accomplishments. They have an identity beyond "Look, its Pandas."

And the Horde and Alliance? With Deathwing finally defeated they are left with a world thats broken, land thats ruined, and a lot of stuff thats on fire. Supplies are strained if not running out and tempers are flaring. Then, unmasked by the Cataclysm, they find an entire land unspoiled by disaster and ripe for exploiting.

I mean, Garrosh and Varian have pretty much been poking eachother repeatedly with sharp sticks. Imagine what both would do to gain the upper hand (and bigger stick)?

Then theres the Sha, physical manifestations of bad juju... and after three expansions of doom, gloom, and death, the broken and hurting members of both factions have plenty of bad juju.

All of this information given to us by the people who know and love this world. People who spoke of it with such enthusiasm. They, who have one of the most enduring franchises in video games, believe in what they are putting forward.

Kneejerk reactions and first impressions are fine but they warrant further inspection. And it was this inspection that led not only the story, history, and implications to change my mind but the passion and fervor with which they were given.

I have turned from wanting to quit to wanting to try it out. Am I saying its all going to be wonder, sunshine, and unicorns pooping rainbows? No. What i am saying is that it -could- be. And Blizzard has done a lot over the last seven years to earn my trust.

They asked "Come with us, come see what were doing here." So, Ill give it a shot. I mean, my roommate said it: "What -if- it turns out to be a lot of fun?"
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - Oct. 26, 2011, 7:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I did want to make one comment on:

10/26/2011 12:16 AMPosted by Laider
Blizzard has given the Panderan a rich culture and a specific way of thinking. A history that goes back beyond the sundering with their own struggles and accomplishments. They have an identity beyond "Look, its Pandas."

This is something I want to touch on a bit more. People seem to think that Pandaren were a joke, a throw away easter egg that we never fully intended as a playable race.

I will direct you to recall the Warcraft RPG (pen and paper) manuals released in 2003. While much of it hasn't been canon for quite some time, the Pandaren occupy a greater amount of pages and space within the manuals to establish their lore and story than pretty much every other creature on Azeroth. To give it some context, they occupy the same number of pages as Trolls in the Monster Manual, and share the same amount space in the Alliance and Horde Compendium with Orcs or Humans, and just like them ... you guessed it... Pandaren were a playable race.

(there's also an awesome sketch Metzen did of a Pandaren, Dwarf, Furbolg, and Gnome hanging out all friendly-like)

As I said a lot of this was pre-World of Warcraft, and by whatever stroke of fate, Trolls and Forsaken became playable races and Pandaren, Naga, and Furbolgs did not. Some other mix could have just as easily been true, and no one would have questioned it. Worgen didn't even exist back then, of course, they were a new creation for World of Warcraft.

It would simply be inaccurate to state that Pandaren were a throw away. Our intent, going back to Warcraft III, when the vast majority of the world lore and story was established for the franchise, was always to have a deep and rich history for a race known as the Pandaren.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#31 - Oct. 26, 2011, 8:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Heroraces.jpg?c=1

There's the pic.

Haha, yup, that's the one. Thank you.

And this is actually a great resource covering the contents of the manuals, just please keep in mind that much of it is now highly inaccurate and the visual style of the Pandaren have changed quite a bit since then.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaren
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#225 - Oct. 26, 2011, 8:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
My apologies to Zarhym, but I'm not buying it (his story about the Pandaren, that is, not the expansion).

The Pandaren clearly have their genesis as an Easter egg/joke character. Blizzard may have decided to expand on this for some unfathomable reason, but that doesn't make it a good decision. Along these lines, why don't we have Murkablo appear as a boss in a raid, or Budd Nedreck turn out to be the secret avatar of Sargeras?

Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?