Cataclysm Forums on the Healing Model

#0 - July 1, 2010, 12:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
A few blue GC posts now readable from the cataclysm forum on the Healing Model in Cataclysm

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=24702264976&sid=2000&pageNo=1

Briefly, for shamans and paladins, the change everyone was wondering about is that the fast heal and the medium heal, heal for the Same amount. The Fast heal just costs about 2.5 times as much mana.
So the Fast heal will be HPS while the slow heal is going to have the HPM. The large heals are intended to be crosses of the two with a long time to be much better HPS.

Scaling and mana costs aren't set in stone, and indeed paladin healing trees haven't been touched yet.
#5 - July 1, 2010, 1:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Blizzard seems confused on what they want to do with healers.

"I don't like" != "Blizzard is confused." :)
#46 - July 1, 2010, 6:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We've had many threads on this topic already, some with blue posts, so I feel like I'm starting to sound like the proverbial broken record here, but I'll give it a go one more time:

-- We want to add talents that are more than just +healing. You've got plenty of those.
-- There are opportunities for *every* healer to dps.
-- Opportunity 1. Leveling or soloing. Not every healer wants to use their dual spec on say Elemental or Shadow.
-- Opportunity 2. PvP. Good healers, especially priests in today's game, can contribute a lot of damage.
-- Opportunity 3. Dungeons. This is particularly true when the content is easy and you want to get through it quickly. Healing more doesn't make things go any faster. Dealing damage does.
-- Opportunity 4. Raids. No matter how challenging the content, there are moments when nobody is taking damage and you can spare the mana. Your choices are do nothing, tab out to YouTube, or maybe do a little damage.
-- If you are the kind of healer that never, ever, ever wants to do damage under any circumstances, then don't. You'll have choices to avoid anything dps-related.
-- I also don't think you'll be expected to dps. Your 2-3 dps talents aren't going to let you compete with a mage. There are very few fights balanced along such a razor's edge that your dps will contribute more than say what the rogue and lock could add if they just stepped it up a bit. Besides, in those really challenging fights, you probably are going to have to devote all of your GCDs and mana towards actual healing.