Forum Ettiquite

#1 - Oct. 5, 2011, 4:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have a question.

I know that necro'ing a thread is frowned upon and I know that posting a thread about something when a thread already exists is frowned upon. If searching has turned up an old thread that is entirely relevant to what I want to post, do I necro that thread or make a new one?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#8 - Oct. 5, 2011, 4:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I have a question.

I know that necro'ing a thread is frowned upon and I know that posting a thread about something when a thread already exists is frowned upon. If searching has turned up an old thread that is entirely relevant to what I want to post, do I necro that thread or make a new one?

It depends on how old the thread is. Often what happens to a thread is that it ends up being "out of date" based on the information in it. So, jumping in to add information to it, can end up being confusing to those that may not realize when the thread was originally posted. In that case, it's better to create a new topic of discussion. If it's not all "that" old, and the information is still relevant (without the thread containing a flame war) then it may be OK to bump it via a response.