Terms of use vagueness and seeming abuse.

#1 - Sept. 11, 2011, 5:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am not allowed to post on specific player bans, so I won't. From what I have read on the guidlines this doesn't violate any of it.

The Terms of use are pointed to in many aspects of the game, and it is said that if any violation occurs punishment occurs. But what exactly counts as violation? Under what can and what cannot be said this is as specific as they get. " Profane or grotesque ". ( Along with the obvious bans against saying anything sexual or racist ). But it seems what is really meant by this is any word that can be censored by the mature language filter is subject to player ban or suspension.

Why I ask? Is this the policy. From no where in the terms of use was I even hinted that this was the case. In fact, I guessed, as most probably do, that because blizzard gives a option on whether or not to hear certain words that they would be acceptable.

So this is all I ask. If the above is policy. State it plainly and clearly so it doesn't adversely affect the subsribers of the game. And if you don't clearly and plainly state it, don't act like it was clearly and plainly stated.

It seems simple enough, but it sure isn't the case.
#1 - Sept. 11, 2011, 5:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am not allowed to post on specific player bans, so I won't. From what I have read on the guidlines this doesn't violate any of it.

The Terms of use are pointed to in many aspects of the game, and it is said that if any violation occurs punishment occurs. But what exactly counts as violation? Under what can and what cannot be said this is as specific as they get. " Profane or grotesque ". ( Along with the obvious bans against saying anything sexual or racist ). But it seems what is really meant by this is any word that can be censored by the mature language filter is subject to player ban or suspension.

Why I ask? Is this the policy. From no where in the terms of use was I even hinted that this was the case. In fact, I guessed, as most probably do, that because blizzard gives a option on whether or not to hear certain words that they would be acceptable.

So this is all I ask. If the above is policy. State it plainly and clearly so it doesn't adversely affect the subsribers of the game. And if you don't clearly and plainly state it, don't act like it was clearly and plainly stated.

It seems simple enough, but it sure isn't the case.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#20 - Sept. 17, 2011, 10:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think this support article is particularly relevant to your point, Gooches.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20222

A violation of our harassment policies is a violation, and can be actioned accordingly, regardless of whether or not the Mature Language Filter is in effect.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#20 - Sept. 17, 2011, 10:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think this support article is particularly relevant to your point, Gooches.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/20222

A violation of our harassment policies is a violation, and can be actioned accordingly, regardless of whether or not the Mature Language Filter is in effect.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#32 - Sept. 17, 2011, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Any use can be subject to punishment. I can't make that any clearer. These punishments are directly related to the reports we receive. If we never receive a report, you may never be subject to action.

There are some situations where gamers may be gamers amongst themselves. Guild chat, as an example, is something that can (and should) be regulated by the officers and guild leader. Some conversation may be acceptable amongst your peers there. Others may not, and as such, could be subject to account action if reported.

Again, there's never a license to make it okay. It is prohibited, in every instance of the term. The mature language filter is an optional feature to help protect players who may be more sensitive than others.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#122 - Sept. 19, 2011, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
While I appreciate everyone who participated in this discussion, it does seem that we are going in circles. Though I would rather leave civil discussions open whenever possible, regardless of how long the conversation has been going, I also want to avoid the thread degenerating. I have a feeling that is what may be happening sooner, rather than later.