BlizzCon Travel 101 & Flying in the US

#1 - Sept. 12, 2011, 9:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I travel a good deal for work and put in upwards of 75-100k miles a year across 2 airlines and have been in many airports across the country. Because of that travel, I have been asked by guildmates and friends pretty regularly for 'tips on traveling'. Consider this post your Flying to Blizzcon 101/Tips for Flying in the US.

Booking your Flight

Do I Fly to Los Angeles, John Wayne/Irvine, or Long Beach?
The closest airport is John Wayne/Irvine (SNA) and is the 2nd largest of the 3 options. Long Beach (LGB) is a fairly small airport and flight options can be very limited. Many Anaheim area hotels provide free shuttles from both LGB and SNA airports.

Driving distance between SNA and LGB and the convention area are negligably different. Whichever works out better for you would get my vote.

LAX will have the most direct and connection options because of its size. For that very same reason, it will be VERY busy. LAX can have a lot of delays, long security lines, and is a 1-2 hour drive (depending on traffic on I-405) from the Convention Center. Being a major international airport, it is very busy on "business travel days" (read: Monday mornings and Friday all day).

Layovers Suck... but.....
If you can't fly direct that's ok... most people can't. However, don't book too short a layover. Many airlines let you book layovers as short at 30 minutes. Most airlines START boarding at 20-30 minutes prior to departure, and often close the passenger manifest 5-10 minutes out. Remember that BlizzCon is in late October and hubbing through places like Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Chicago can often have weather based delays. (both inbound and once you are on the ground). As such, plan accordingly. Personall, I don't book a flight unless the layover is at least 50 minutes.

Know the airport; are you flying multiple carriers each leg of your flight? Be sure you know the airport you are going into. For example, is Delta in one terminal and USAir in another? This can affect your layover time. No one likes to do the dreaded "cross terminal sprint" where you inevitably arrive at Gate D50 and you leave from Gate A2.. and you JUST missed the tram.

If you have a tight connection.. book a seat closer to the front of the aircraft. This will get you off the plane 5-10 minutes before the person in the back of the plane and can be very valuable time on a tight connection.

If you can select your seat at time of booking... do it. Not all seats are created equal. Check out your aircraft at www.seatguru.com and see if you have limited legroom/recline, if you are right next to the bathroom, or if that flight has WiFi.

If you book on a aggregation website (eg. Kayak, Expedia) , I'd suggest logging into the specific airline carrier's website and confirm your seat selection there after purchasing.

To Check Baggage or to Not

Many airlines charge you to check baggage. (For example, Jet Blue and Southwest dont), so be familiar with your airline's baggage policy.

Things to keep in mind about baggage...
1. Just because YOU can make tight connection, doesn't mean your luggage will. Consider carrying your luggage on if you have a close connection.
2. If you are on a smaller plane, such as a DC-9, there really isnt much overhead storage and most "carry on"/"rollaboard" luggage can't fit into the overhead and they "Jetway Check" it. This is where they take larger bags from EVERYONE and plane-side check it. You'll get the bag back at the next Jetway (either your layover or your final destination). This luggage is NOT checked through to baggage claim, so don't forget it!!
3. If your plane fills up overhead space, they will start checking bags all the way to your final destination. Some people volunteer for this as a way of getting their bags "checked for free". (With many airlines charging for checked baggage, more and more flights are filling overhead space)
4. Put your bag in wheels first and if it wont fit, try handle first. Be sure the overhead closes before walking away. You don't want to be away from your bag and then have the Flight Crew have to remove it (and check it) if it doesn't fit. If it wont fit, be ready to remove smaller items that can fit in your seatpocket or in your laptop bag if you have one.

If you do check bags, put something very easy to ID on your bag. (Ribbon, a giant "My Little Pony" sticker, SOMETHING) Any guesses how many standard size black Samsonite bags there are out there? (hint: over 9000)

TSA and Security
(They are going to see me nekkid! No they aren't; calm down... )

Ahh the cattle call... MOOO MOOO! Security lines. Ultimately, the best place for information on this is here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm

If you have preferred status with your airline you often can use the First Class line for speedy security. However, if you do not have a 1st Class Ticket, or "preferred status" and try to use these lanes, you can be sent to the back of the line. Some people suggest trying to use it even w/o a first class/preferred status--- I'd suggest against it.

If you are bringing your laptop, be prepared to take it completely out of the bag and into a tray on its own. (DVD players and other large electronics too-- iPads can stay in bags). If you have a "TSA Approved" or "Checkpoint Friendly" case (e.g. Tray style), you can follow those instructions. http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/simplifying_laptop_bag_procedures.shtm

Big gaming laptops can sometimes look like more than 1 laptop stacked on top of eachother when in the X-Ray (dont worry it wont delete anything!). My gaming laptop I sometimes travel with ALWAYS catches the TSA screeners attention. "Thats ONE laptop... woah." Then they have to swab it down and manually test it for "residue".

Protip: Electrical outlets at the airport can be a PREMIUM. Bring a cheap "outlet splitter" to share outlets with your fellow travelers if you come across an outlet that is already full. A friendly, "Mind if we share that?" and displaying the splitter can mean the difference between a dead cell phone and a charged on.

* Don't try to carry on liquid over 3oz. It'll just slow you down at security when they remove it, ask if you want to ship it or throw it away.
* Don't bring a gallon sized bag with a million sample bottles of Head and Shoulders. Just bring a quart sized bag, with 3oz or smaller toiletries. (Solid style deoderants can stay outside the bag b/c they are solid and can save you valuable space in that zip top bag)
* Which reminds me... BRING DEODERANT... no one likes a convention full of smelly and sweaty nerds. No really.... bring it. (You laugh now... but, well... you'll see)[/ul]

If you are competing in the costume competition... I might suggest CHECKING your costume Ashbringer. TSA frowns upon 4 foot long (even costume) swords.

Smart Phone Apps/Social Media

Many airlines and hotels have their own apps, which have access to your itinerary, customer service numbers, and even electronic boarding passes. Starwood, Marriott, Delta and USAir's apps are great examples of these.

TripCase - A great, free, app that lets you forward your itinerary (even multi carrier) and it organizes your schedule in their app. It also has notifications when you are delayed, arrived early, or have a gate change. This can be very handy if you are on a tight connection: fire up this app and know what gate you arrived at, and what gate your next flight is leaving from.

Twitter - many airlines have Service Alerts pushed to their twitter feeds. Delta (www.twitter.com/DeltaAssist) has a very active twitter feed and customer support with several Service Agents working that account.

Delays and Interrupted Travel

You've missed your connection or you're delayed. The first thing you want to do is get on your cell phone with the service number for your airline AND get in line for help at your gate. (one might be faster than the other) Do NOT get angry at the gate agent. Remember, they are your last line of defense...and it ultimately isnt their fault. You get a lot more mileage out of kindness than being some raging traveler, screaming and waving their arms. Be kind, and don't be afraid ask for their help.

If the gate is mobbed, and your delay/layover is now MUCH longer than you expected. Consider buying a "day pass" for your airlines "Club Lounge" (if the airport has one). These passes can be 20-50 bucks for the day (sometimes there is a discount if you have an AMEX) Why is that? You'll get preferred service (and much shorter lines) with Customer Service Agents who are ready to help you. Additionally these clubs have tons of power outlets, comfortable chairs, WiFi... and depending on the club, sometimes open bar. (if you are 21+)

Travel isn't really as complicated as it seems. Just plan ahead, give yourself extra time, and enjoy the flight! "Good luck, have fun!"
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - Sept. 12, 2011, 11:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hehe. I love that you asked me on Twitter where to post this. ;)

Responded in kind: http://twitter.com/talkingcongas/status/113396785355038720