Vigilance

#0 - June 2, 2010, 5:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It is pretty awesome.

Let's talk about how great Vigilance is.

I like it.
#25 - June 2, 2010, 5:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The Taunt renew part of Vigilance is cool and being able to essentially Salv someone can be useful too. Actually gaining threat from using the ability makes it feel like Defiance 2.0 though. You feel like you have to use it all the time (not that that's a huge burden, but still) to achieve the threat levels that other tanks essentially get without the talent.
#159 - June 4, 2010, 6:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The point I've been trying to make (which has been somewhat lost among the weak analogies and side arguments) is that blaming Vigilance for Warrior DPS being low is inherently flawed. As I've explained elsewhere in this thread, it's entirely possible for Blizzard to buff Warrior DPS while leaving Vigilance in the game - they could either reduce the threat multiplier of Defensive Stance or reduce the threat baked into other abilities. If Warrior DPS is still lower than other tanks despite the recent buffs to Devastate and Revenge, it's because either balancing tank DPS isn't a high enough priority to fix before Cataclysm or Blizzard doesn't think Warriors are far enough behind to warrant buffing them.

If you don't like the concept of Vigilance, think it's current implementation is poor, or think Prot Warrior DPS is still too low compared to other tanks, then make those points directly. Blaming Vigilance for Prot Warriors' DPS woes isn't productive, because it's not the actual cause of the problem.

Yeah, I 'm inclined to agree. Vigilance has almost nothing to do with the amount of dps done by a tanking warrior in our minds.

Tanks need to generate more threat than they do damage because our design is that you have to give up some of your dps in order to tank. Threat fills in that gap. As long as the threat generation scales with gear and isn't too far off from other tank classes then we don't think it's a problem.

Warriors used to have a talent called Defiance, which increased your threat. If warriors had to pick that talent and paladins had no equivalent, then warriors would rightfully feel that they just received fewer talent points than paladins. That's the part of Vigilance that we're not crazy about. The rest of the ability isn't a problem and in fact can be useful and fun.