Replica armors from new Darkmoon Faire Q.

#1 - Aug. 25, 2011, 8:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
and even replicas of long-lost suits of armor that we’re offering for your Transmogrification needs.

My emphasis in that quote is "replica" as I am wondering if this means Blizzard will be bringing back old items/Tiers/weps/etc. with some type of notation on the item to distinguish those who got the item when it was obtainable and who received it after the fact? Something like "Shadow of.... <insert item name>." Also what about weapons & unobtainable shields? Will the Darkmoon Faire expand its services in the future?

A blue said they don't plan to bring back Tier 3/naxx items at the launch of 4.3, but does that mean the shady folks working at the Darkmoon Faire have plans on bringing these items back once they compile enough to stock their shelves? (Aka is Blizzard discussing internally whether they think its a good idea to bring this stuff back?)

My opinion on this: I'm not a huge fan of bringing back T3 and some of the really rare stuff from vanilla, but knowing full well how hard and grindy the Darkmoon Faire has been in the past I can see this perhaps being an acceptable way to keep these items both rare for the players who have them while available to players who really want them.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - Aug. 25, 2011, 9:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We haven't fully solidified the list of old items/sets that will make a return via the Darkmoon Faire carnies. We'll let you know once we've locked down what's for sale there in patch 4.3, but yes, we're likely to expand the vendor list in future updates.

"Replica" does mean that these items may very well just be art skins made available specifically for use with Transmogrification, devoid of their original stats. Once you copy those skins onto another item though, I don't know that one would be able to tell the difference between whether you earned the look back in the day, or from the Darkmoon Faire. Only the name of the item from which you're pulling art will be shown in the tooltip of the item you have equipped. So if the names of the items aren't changed when placed on Darkmoon Faire vendors, a player inspecting you wouldn't know the difference once you've mogged your look.

My emphasis in that quote is "replica" as I am wondering if this means Blizzard will be bringing back old items/Tiers/weps/etc. with some type of notation on the item to distinguish those who got the item when it was obtainable and who received it after the fact? Something like "Shadow of.... <insert item name>." Also what about weapons & unobtainable shields? Will the Darkmoon Faire expand its services in the future?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#17 - Aug. 25, 2011, 9:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I would prefer that they are a recolor or something. I don't like the idea of completely removing the benefit of having grinded and saved these legacy sets for years taking up precious bank space to have something visually unique to wear on occasion.

It seems like they are removing even the very small number of ways one can try to be a special unique snowflake.

We do understand that concern, which is why we're implementing this feature in a more conservative manner than some would even like. Ultimately, Transmogrification gives folks a wide array of new customization options, but we do want to have some restrictions in place to keep character looks from getting too ridiculous, and to make sure all previous sets in the game aren't absolutely free for all.

I'd still caution you to avoid drawing very distinct and speculative conclusions at this stage about all of the Transmogrification rule sets, features, and limitations. It's great to hear feedback on what players hope this system will (or will not) be, but it's not really worth it for anyone to spend too much time laying out concerns about details that haven't yet been provided in full.

We are in constant discussion with our developers in order that we compile a comprehensive article of the various item rules, features, and restrictions coming with Transmogrification in patch 4.3. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Aug. 25, 2011, 9:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/25/2011 02:32 PMPosted by Araeya
"I got this item a long time ago and because I did, I should be unique and special and nobody else should ever be able to get it again".

And one of the problems I personally have with anyone who might state this hypothetical, is that I did earn several cool sets back in the day which I'd love to sport once again. But as we didn't plan for this feature all along, I deleted sets I knew I'd never wear for stat benefits in order to save inventory space. I told myself, "yes, you look cool in this, but don't be a pack rat if you're not going to wander around towns in outmoded sets." I wager a lot of long-time WoW players are in the same boat. And a deleted/sold item is only kept in our database logs for so long before the record of one having owned that item is erased.

The majority of the gear sets in this game are still possible to obtain, so that's awesome. To me it's a cool side effect of this feature to encourage people to return to some old places, filled with nostalgia, to collect gear just for the look -- not the power.

There are, however, some sets or items which can no longer be found in the game. So we're keeping track of some of the items and sets players are really wanting to see make a return in some fashion. The Darkmoon Faire revamp in patch 4.3 provides but one new way players can slip into familiar looks from the past. :)