BG gear matching?

#0 - May 23, 2007, 11:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Was it just put in the patch notes, and then never written? Is it something that isn't turned on yet? Does it only check ilvl totals, and not item quality?

Every level 70 battleground I've done has been exactly the same - with some dude fresh out of Shadowmoon Valley fighting another player with their second tier blacksmithing weapon, and gladiator set. Queue times haven't changed, either - wouldn't they go up if the queue system was looking for near-equal geared players? All I do is pvp, and this is/was the change I was looking forward to most (yeah yeah my 5v5 rating sucks, haven't played it in 2 months).

Please don't turn this into a whinefest about gear or deathcoil or whatever, I just want to know the current state of battleground gear matching.
#4 - May 24, 2007, 1:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You won't notice a difference for a few weeks/months.

Don't know why, but that seems to be the answer we keep getting

Shwa? I'm not sure who would have said that, or why.

The matching system as it is now is set to be pretty loose. Partially because the system is new. The technology is in now though, and now that it's there we can begin tweaking the settings, tightening up how picky it is and see real results. The other part is the battlegrounds don't have a ton of people playing in them, and so it's going to be looser to keep the queue times down.

We will be making adjustments, but the impact of the matching system at this moment is going to be minimal. It's new, we don't want to start turning knobs before we really have an idea of the effect and see the queue times crank up to a few hours for everyone.