orcs need (model) buffed...

#1 - Aug. 24, 2011, 5:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
this has annoyed me for a while- and with firelands out now i cant keep quiet anymore- blizzard, how dare you- you give thrall a model that is standing up right but keep other orcs slumped over? what the heck? i want my orcs to stand tall, and proud! if you can give thrall a tall-standing model than i want my orc characters to be proud of who they are too!

at least that would be nice since we are paying you for this game each month- and you obviously have the technology to renovate models.

edit: i posted this later - like page 5 in this topic

http://imageshack.us/f/263/orcmodels.png/

2 orc models: "righty" is the orc we have now, "lefty" is the same model in the game- just standing tall. and yes- this is already in the game.

edit#2: ok someone said on page 16 that this little forum does not speak for the whole mass of wow players... lets change that- call your friends, guildies, shout it out in your capitols about this post, give the link or topic name. lets settle this debate and see how many players out there in azeroth want their old models updated and now.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#5 - Aug. 24, 2011, 5:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
this has annoyed me for a while- and with firelands out now i cant keep quiet anymore- blizzard, how dare you- you give thrall a model that is standing up right but keep other orcs slumped over? what the heck? i want my orcs to stand tall, and proud! if you can give thrall a tall-standing model than i want my orc characters to be proud of who they are too!

at least that would be nice since we are paying you for this game each month- and you obviously have the technology to renovate models.

We often see people request for model updates. This is something we'd definitely like to do at some point in time, but time is a very limited commodity for our art team. We also have to be very careful about what it means to "update" a model. We've made changes in the past to various characters and had some people be a bit upset that it was changed on them as they had made very specific choices about the look of their character. We try to be as sensitive as possible about these types of things.

I can't give you more information than that, but the idea isn't far from our minds. We just have a lot of things we still want to on multiple levels that we hope enhance the experience of the game for everyone.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#38 - Aug. 24, 2011, 6:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post

I am 90% sure this is a copy and paste answer from another thread asking for updates.

Nice XD

It's not. It's 100% hand crafted from the purest shimmering sammite. It's just that the answer hasn't changed as of yet.

Well the art team should have a lot of free time now since they don't have to work as hard on weapons/armor now that mogging will be implemented.

I will be sure to inform them about all the free time they have. I'm sure they will laugh with delightful glee to hear of it... ;)

Then hire more art staff..

Despite thoughts to the contrary, it's never this easy.

*BTW... as always, I highly suggest that people try to remain constructive and avoid any defamatory language aimed toward Blizzard employees. The art team does in fact work very very hard and have a lot they're working on currently for the next patch (and beyond.) At no point are they slacking nor is their desire to do as much as they can lacking.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#62 - Aug. 24, 2011, 6:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There is a lot of new art that was introduced in Cataclysm along with upgrades in things such as water (as a very small example). We have some pretty high standards for ourselves as well and while we can always up the poly count, that only goes so far. We're talking about models that have existed since the beginning of the game and thus, aren't all as advanced as some of the newer models that have been introduced to the game. We've been upping more than the poly counts. We're doing more in the way of animation and the way models are articulated and move within the world.

Now, as for hiring more people, we are always looking for talented people as you can see from our jobs page- http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas

We're even currently looking for a 3D character artist among other things- http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=0900036

Again, I think people are taking what I said to mean that there is a lack of desire on our end, and this is far from the truth. We absolutely agree that we could make improvements and would like to do so. It's just a matter of figuring out the "when" that this could be accomplished. There's a whole world (of warcraft) of things that are being worked on and we want to get to everything we can and make it count.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#299 - Aug. 25, 2011, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
HEY NETH!

you still there? you lose your keyboard or something? you been silent for a while now- maybe you should make a comment or two- you know, let us know you blizzard guys are still paying attention.

just to recap: there are 15 pages here for you to read saying that generally speaking players want a model update- the 8 origional (i know- spelling...) models are too blocky and ORCS NEED to be straight-backed (you get that noted yet?) and it sounds like this is more of a priority than your 'steak' your working on for us.

i dont want to sound mean... but... public has spoken, make your notes and crack the whips. y'all got to work for your money again.

As I said previously, we're aware. Just remember, being aware neither means that we don't want to do it, nor does it mean it's a sure thing. It just means we know. We agree (as I mentioned before) that it would be great to do. We just need to figure out how and when we can do it.

Believe me... I know exactly where my keyboard is. I've worn half the letters off of the keys. Thank goodness I can touch type.