Whirlwind can now be used in Defensive Stance

#0 - April 27, 2010, 12:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Since we're talking about Whirlwind becoming a wet noodle for single targets, why not just allow tanks to use it? You want more complexity but feel warrior tanks don't need any more aoe tools.

Come to a compromise. Whirlwind is 50% weapon damage, and with a one hand it won't be gamebreaking. Heck, it wouldn't need to have bonus threat.
#14 - April 27, 2010, 8:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Since we're talking about Whirlwind becoming a wet noodle for single targets, why not just allow tanks to use it? You want more complexity but feel warrior tanks don't need any more aoe tools.

Yet aren't you basically turning Whirlwind into an AE tool? :)

For me it still comes down to whether warriors can successfully AE tank or not. If they can't, we'd rather make their existing tools (Tclap and Shockwave for the most part) do the job and not keep giving them more and more keybinds.
#93 - April 29, 2010, 5:14 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I'm not saying Warriors do need more AE tools but you don't want to lower the cooldown on any of the current abilities and you don't want to add new abilities.. What's left if it is decided that Warriors need more AE; more Damage per T-clap/Shockwave? That would be.. very boring.

For me it comes down to whether warriors can AE tank or not. The impression I'm getting from a lot of these posts (though not yours) is a lot of warriors can AE tank okay but just want it to be easier. "Easier" is something you have to be very careful about. If you're making it easier because it's currently frustrating then it might be a good change. If you're making it easier because it's currently challenging, then it might be a bad change. Those aren't easy conditions to untangle though, because for some players any failure to win (or sometimes even a failure to be efficient) is frustrating.

Regardless, as I said before, given that we don't expect tanks to be doing a lot of AE tanking, we're not sure they need a ton of abilities solely devoted to AE tanking. If warriors truly can't AE tank, then we'd rather make the tools they have work rather than trying to add Whirlwind as yet another button on your tanking bar.

Given that warriors generally seem to be able to AE tank fine today (and in fact could AE tank fine back in BC when the tools were even less AE-friendly) and given that there will be fewer opportunities to AE tank in the future, any problems in the future will be by definition even smaller in magnitude. Given that, I think the amount of time we've spent on this topic is quite disproportionate to its importance.