So. Let's talk dress up.

#1 - Aug. 18, 2011, 8:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With Transmogrification coming up in 4.3, does anyone have sets already stashed? If not, does anyone have any idea what 'suit' they want to put together? C'mon, I want ideas and pretty pictures!

Anybody, anybody? Beuller? Let's have fun with this!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#39 - Aug. 18, 2011, 9:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/18/2011 02:00 PMPosted by Interdictor
t4 or t6 with stylin' purple hat and Dual Dark Herring.

Well, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but...

We have an obligation to players and to our hard working artists to keep the game from looking too silly. I know looking ridiculous is fun for some players, but World of Warcraft was established with a design that the game overall kept its silliness in check. That’s one of the reasons we resisted adding a feature like Transmogrification for so long.

So weapons that look like fish, for example, probably won't be available as source items for Transmogrification, even if one is technically a dagger and has stats. There are a handful other weapons with "silly" models (such as frying pans, brooms, etc.) that may or may not be allowed -- it's still under discussion.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#74 - Aug. 18, 2011, 10:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'll admit I've not read every post, but...
Any word on being able to Mog BoAs?

That's still under discussion at the moment. Right now, Legendary weapons and Heirlooms probably won't be eligible, while some Bind on Account items probably will be eligible. It's not set in stone yet though.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#403 - Aug. 22, 2011, 6:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That's still under discussion at the moment. Right now, Legendary weapons and Heirlooms probably won't be eligible, while some Bind on Account items probably will be eligible. It's not set in stone yet though.

I'd like to provide an update on this statement I made. It turns out that Heirlooms will be eligible targets for Transmogrification.

Also (and this applies to all Transmogrified items), trading, mailing, auctioning or depositing an item in a guild bank will remove the Transmogrified art, returning the item in question to its original artwork.

So, while you won't have to stare at the same old Heirlooms the whole time you're leveling, you won't be able to send a set of Heirlooms that have been Transmogrified with tier 13 art to your level 10 alt.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#406 - Aug. 22, 2011, 7:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Any plans to ease the storage related pains players are already experiencing as they go and run old content for looks-gear?

My personal bank has gone through several purges, but I'm really really reaching critical mass quickly, and I don't even have half of my wishlist obtained yet.

If I'm not misunderstanding you, then http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3342240#blog is your answer.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#412 - Aug. 22, 2011, 7:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
ETA: Bah! Daxx beat my by a few seconds.

/flex
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#489 - Aug. 22, 2011, 11:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Will Main Hand only weaponry be 'Mog"ifiable to the offhand slot?

Mainhand can only be applied to mainhand, and offhand can only be applied to offhand. This is partially due to the restrictions on certain types of weapon art.

Again, these are our first tentative steps with Transmogrification, and there's room for modifying the rules later on after the system is introduced, and we see how things shake out. Heck, the rules aren't even quite set in stone right now, and might change further before the system is introduced.

08/22/2011 03:23 PMPosted by Panadyne
Btw, if WoW was designed to not be "silly" why have the items in the game in the first place o.o?

World of Warcraft has a design aesthetic that limits silliness, not omits it utterly. We all like a laugh now and then. That's why we have so many fun novelty items, easter eggs and humorous quests. Still, with a handful of exceptions, there's been a pretty firm line drawn between what amounts to a novelty item (which we anticipate players showing off occasionally for a laugh, or to enjoy on a temporary basis), and items that we intend players to use in their day to day activities.

It's that handful of exceptions that are the sticking point. It's the items like frying pans, cleavers and rolling pins that we're not sure we want players running around with on a constant basis. The jury is still out on that.

I'm sure that there will be those that still find ways to make the most ridiculous outfits possible despite any precautions we take. We can't possibly anticipate every permutation of gear combinations that people will come up with, but we can strive to design the system so that there are fewer completely ridiculous looking characters running around. Yes, that's partially subjective. Yes, we also have a design aesthetic that, even with the introduction of the Transmogrifier, we still want to adhere to. No, I don't care if you personally think that any given tier set looks "silly"; that's not what's at issue.