Blizzard Can't Pay for More GMs in Game...

#1 - Aug. 8, 2011, 7:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm going to explain something to you about the line "...there are more people sending in tickets than Blizzard can reasonably hire." Ok, first, this isn't a government building where they have a set income from a set amount of taxpayers and then if they get a lot of people slamming them for driver's licenses they can't just hire more employees because they are working with a fixed income. Blizzard, is not like that. Each of those people you say are opening tickets are PAYING customers. So if there are more paying customers there is more revenue in which to hire more people.

And let's also reveal a common fact in this industry: it only takes about 500k subscribers to pay for all costs then be marginally profitable. That means that every customer thereafter is pure profit.

The highest number i remember being released for subs was 11 million. Over the last 2 quarters Blizzard has announced drops in subs of 600k and 300k. So that means they've announced a drop of 900k subs from 11 million. Let's be overly conservative and say that they are at around 6 million paying subs right now (again I would venture to say they are closer to 8 million.)

So, that means: 6million - 500k = 5.5 million. Let's go ahead and be even more conservative and say they are only making profit from 3 million subs. So, 3 million X 15 U.S. dollars is 45 million dollars a month of PURE PROFIT.

So, again, how is it that they can't reasonably get more CS reps? Oh ya, because they don't WANT to.
#1 - Aug. 8, 2011, 7:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm going to explain something to you about the line "...there are more people sending in tickets than Blizzard can reasonably hire." Ok, first, this isn't a government building where they have a set income from a set amount of taxpayers and then if they get a lot of people slamming them for driver's licenses they can't just hire more employees because they are working with a fixed income. Blizzard, is not like that. Each of those people you say are opening tickets are PAYING customers. So if there are more paying customers there is more revenue in which to hire more people.

And let's also reveal a common fact in this industry: it only takes about 500k subscribers to pay for all costs then be marginally profitable. That means that every customer thereafter is pure profit.

The highest number i remember being released for subs was 11 million. Over the last 2 quarters Blizzard has announced drops in subs of 600k and 300k. So that means they've announced a drop of 900k subs from 11 million. Let's be overly conservative and say that they are at around 6 million paying subs right now (again I would venture to say they are closer to 8 million.)

So, that means: 6million - 500k = 5.5 million. Let's go ahead and be even more conservative and say they are only making profit from 3 million subs. So, 3 million X 15 U.S. dollars is 45 million dollars a month of PURE PROFIT.

So, again, how is it that they can't reasonably get more CS reps? Oh ya, because they don't WANT to.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#28 - Aug. 8, 2011, 8:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There's a whole lot of conjecture going on in this thread. I think it's better for me at this point for me to present the facts as I can, rather than focus on any particular commentary that's already been made.

Hiring Game Masters is a lengthy and expensive process, and one that we are constantly going through. Speaking as a former Game Master myself, it's not an easy job. There's a lot of demands that need to be made, both from the employer and the players that you interact with. Much training is required, and even then, some tasks are limited to more experienced Game Masters.

This is a topic that comes up frequently, and it seems to stem from the general lack of knowledge about how we do the things that we do in Customer Support. Some of that will have to remain a well-protected secret - we provide the best customer support that we can, and we feel that's something extremely valuable that no other company offers at the same level. We know it's important to you guys, and we agree.

However, we're also working on ways to bring to light our policies, procedures, and our day to day lives here so that our players can better understand what's necessary to get these difficult tasks done in the best and most efficient way possible.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#28 - Aug. 8, 2011, 8:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There's a whole lot of conjecture going on in this thread. I think it's better for me at this point for me to present the facts as I can, rather than focus on any particular commentary that's already been made.

Hiring Game Masters is a lengthy and expensive process, and one that we are constantly going through. Speaking as a former Game Master myself, it's not an easy job. There's a lot of demands that need to be made, both from the employer and the players that you interact with. Much training is required, and even then, some tasks are limited to more experienced Game Masters.

This is a topic that comes up frequently, and it seems to stem from the general lack of knowledge about how we do the things that we do in Customer Support. Some of that will have to remain a well-protected secret - we provide the best customer support that we can, and we feel that's something extremely valuable that no other company offers at the same level. We know it's important to you guys, and we agree.

However, we're also working on ways to bring to light our policies, procedures, and our day to day lives here so that our players can better understand what's necessary to get these difficult tasks done in the best and most efficient way possible.