Need > Greed > Disenchant?

#1 - July 20, 2011, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've just recently begun running 5-mans again with my toons, and I've noticed that the loot system still seems off to me. I know there have been plenty of changes to the system, but i'm still at a loss as to the reasoning. From what I've seen, Need trumps Greed, yet Greed and the Disenchant option seem to share the same roll. Why not allow Greed to trump Disenchant?

I ask because sometimes I see an item that I can use for off-spec, or an item that may not be optimal but a solid upgrade, or even an item I'd like to "test" for benefits. I would classify all of these reasons as Greed, because i truly don't NEED the item, but it would be useful to me in some way. All of these reasons trump disenchant in my opinion because choosing that option clearly states you have no use for the object at all.

Is this method too easy to take advantage of? Would everyone just start rolling greed by default? We could keep all the current improvements in place, just add to it. Does this sound like a rose-colored vision, or is it possible?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - July 20, 2011, 7:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Need: I need that piece of gear and will wear it/use it in my appropriate spec
Greed: I do not need that piece of gear and will probably not use it. I will most likely Vendor it or perhaps wear it "for pretty"
Disenchant: I don't even want to bother vendoring this. I would rather the materials that is made up of. I have great use of the disenchanted item than the original

I think this is a pretty fair diagnosis of the current functionality. I'd also note though that group communication is really important. If you're unsure about whether or not you should be rolling Need on an item instead of Greed/Disenchant, communicate with the party and let them know of your intent.

The system for rolling on items isn't perfect and doesn't have built-in functionality for off-spec rolls, etc., but part of this is because we expect there should be at least some base level of communication between the players, particularly if anyone in the group is running dungeons for items and not just the points.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#58 - July 20, 2011, 7:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/20/2011 12:29 PMPosted by Delarie
The system for rolling on items isn't perfect and doesn't have built-in functionality for off-spec rolls, etc., but part of this is because we expect there should be at least some base level of communication between the players, particularly if anyone in the group is running dungeons for items and not just the points.

Very well said. I think people need to realize that there's a point where communication is worth more than anything Blizzard could implement in regards to loot rolls.

Communication prevents a lot of heartache in dungeons I find ;)

Agreed. And for what it's worth, I'm sure we could implement enough rolling options that we could effectively remove any need to ever communicate with the party about what your intent behind each roll is -- the intent would be made clear by the button you press. Sometimes more options aren't always good though. We want the system to be useful and sensible, but not so comprehensive that it ends up being muddled and complicated.

We think the current options are pretty sufficient. If you need the item for your current spec, roll Need. If you can use the item for off-spec, roll Need, but perhaps wait for everyone else to roll first, and/or let the group know why you want to roll Need. If you have an enchanter in your group and you can use mats, roll Disenchant. If you don't need the item or the mats, or you don't have an enchanter in the group, roll Greed for a chance at some extra gold.

Even while queuing for random dungeons solo, I've virtually never run into any major loot disputes or issues. Particularly at this point in the expansion, a lot of players are running Heroics primarily for the JP/VP. Most players understand why you're rolling Need with little to no communication necessary. It's not hard to ascertain, for example, that a DPS death knight is rolling Need on a tanking item for off-spec, and not just to be a jerk. Provided that death knight is accommodating to the tank in the party before rolling, or at least makes an agreement with the tank in advance that they can roll against each other, it's all gravy. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#65 - July 20, 2011, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/20/2011 12:57 PMPosted by Tacobeef

Very well said. I think people need to realize that there's a point where communication is worth more than anything Blizzard could implement in regards to loot rolls.

Communication prevents a lot of heartache in dungeons I find ;)

Maybe in a guild group but asking questions like "Can I need" in a pug group has a high chance of getting you kicked or griefed.

In my own anecdotal experiences, I've found the way in which one communicates to have a big impact on the social implications of that communication. I always try to be very friendly, patient, and well spoken in groups. Because of that, I haven't been kicked for asking questions. If I were to be kicked for asking if I could roll Need on an item I could use for another spec, I'd have the mentality of "Fine! I didn't wanna play with you meanies anyway!" :p
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#68 - July 20, 2011, 8:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Agreed. And for what it's worth, I'm sure we could implement enough rolling options that we could effectively remove any need to ever communicate with the party about what your intent behind each roll is -- the intent would be made clear by the button you press. Sometimes more options aren't always good though. We want the system to be useful and sensible, but not so comprehensive that it ends up being muddled and complicated.

We think the current options are pretty sufficient. If you need the item for your current spec, roll Need. If you can use the item for off-spec, roll Need, but perhaps wait for everyone else to roll first, and/or let the group know why you want to roll Need. If you have an enchanter in your group and you can use mats, roll Disenchant. If you don't need the item or the mats, or you don't have an enchanter in the group, roll Greed for a chance at some extra gold.

Even while queuing for random dungeons solo, I've virtually never run into any major loot disputes or issues. Particularly at this point in the expansion, a lot of players are running Heroics primarily for the JP/VP. Most players understand why you're rolling Need with little to no communication necessary. It's not hard to ascertain, for example, that a DPS death knight is rolling Need on a tanking item for off-spec, and not just to be a jerk. Provided that death knight is accommodating to the tank in the party before rolling, or at least makes an agreement with the tank in advance that they can roll against each other, it's all gravy. ;)

While this would be very nice and pretty in a guild 5man environment, it doesn't happen. Why should it? Why should I accommodate a tank that I'll never see again? Forget him, I need my tanking set NOW. He doesn't like it? Too bad, I already have the item. Go ahead and kick me, I don't need anything else out of here anyway. Etc. Etc. Etc.

The fact is, as much as I hate it, the community in the RDF finder ranges from the sweetest sugarpops you'll ever meet and the bottom-of-the-barrel "ties bags to puppies' feet" types. Closer moderation on what you can and cannot need is ESSENTIAL, even NECESSARY in this type of environment.

The current system seems to think we're in a "nice" part of town and doesn't bother locking its front door when it steps out. It's just not the case.

I see your point. And we have designed a lot of our features around trying to limit the degree to which bad behavior is beneficial. At some point and in some cases though, we have to let the social aspect of the MMO remain fluid, rather than walling off each player in a padded room to ensure their behavior in the game is not a hinderance to themselves or anyone else.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#71 - July 20, 2011, 8:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/20/2011 01:16 PMPosted by Fanahlia
I see your point. And we have designed a lot of our features around trying to limit the degree to which bad behavior is beneficial. At some point and in some cases though, we have to let the social aspect of the MMO remain fluid, rather than walling off each player in a padded room to ensure their behavior in the game is not a hinderance to themselves or anyone else.
Well, I was just hoping that at the end of the dungeon, we could flog violators with hot metal for a couple of hours.

Hmm... I'm listening. :o
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#100 - July 20, 2011, 9:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/20/2011 02:15 PMPosted by Lavania
Are you insane?!

I thought that was implied. :D