World PvP and you. Its time for honesty.

#1 - July 15, 2011, 3:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been reading posts from people saying that those of us who miss world PvP are just griefers. They say we are afraid of real fights that are organized and fair. They say we lack the motivation to properly gear ourselves to compete against players who are prepared to fight us.

I say, So what?

This is a PvP server. I play here so I can get ganked the whole time I level and then do the same thing to others. Is it really so difficult to understand that its fun to oneshot greys in bootybay? THIS IS A PVP SERVER! The entire idea of it is to have open pvp. Restricting that with guards that can oneshot you is stupid.

Please, someone tell me what possible reason there is for playing on a PvP server other than to have the ability to kill anyone you want anywhere in the game?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - July 15, 2011, 3:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I personally like playing on PvP realms because I like the very chance that someone could start a fight nearly anywhere nearly any time. ;)

I am not someone that attacks lower level players (no challenge), and I don't always start the fight, but I'll at least try to finish it and have many times when someone has thought to catch me by surprise. I've also had my fair share of dirt-naps too and all I do is dust myself off and keep going.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#24 - July 15, 2011, 3:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/15/2011 08:45 AMPosted by Shutup
The point is simply PvP server should mean unrestricted pvp. I don't always gank greys but I am not ashamed to do so. I should have the choice and that has been taken away from me on PvP servers now.

Sometimes you have to let someone get up first though. When you say "unrestricted" you're talking about not having to worry about guards when you go into "prime" areas with quests or merchants etc that other players need in order to progress. While being able to disrupt the "enemy" can be something people want to do, there is a point at which that becomes un fun for the other people and they no longer want to play. They'll either move on to a PvE realm or they just won't play at all. So, if your goal is to have plenty of people to PvP with, then those "safe" areas are necessary.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#110 - July 15, 2011, 6:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I personally like playing on PvP realms because I like the very chance that someone could start a fight nearly anywhere nearly any time. ;)

I am not someone that attacks lower level players (no challenge), and I don't always start the fight, but I'll at least try to finish it and have many times when someone has thought to catch me by surprise. I've also had my fair share of dirt-naps too and all I do is dust myself off and keep going.

Let me see, you play horde, am i right?

Blizzard don't care for faction balance, and now, in most of the old servers, like Warsong is simply impossible to "World PVP" since there is always 5 or even more hordes for each ally.

Funny thing is, the first time i played in my server, it was around 50/60% alliance, things changed after TBC and the introduction of blood elfs. Now it's what? 90% horde?

I've played both in PvP. You're diverging into a whole new topic beyond just PvP though. You're into Faction balance, and while that's often a topic of concern for people, there is no one way to ensure perfect balance in world PvP. Even if the two factions are perfectly balanced, there's no guarantee you won't be outnumbered in a particular encounter. The only way that "balance" is ensured is via the battlegrounds and Arena.

One of my favorite PvP moments involved being outnumbered out in the world with just myself and two others. We held the location vs. 10 times our number (they came in waves) for at least 20- 30 minutes. Am I exaggerating? Who knows, I was too busy to give an accurate count, but another party member was keeping an eye on the numbers. It was fun no matter what the odds were.

The thing with PvP is that people often want different things out of it. There's no one way to satisfy everyone. I'm more "old school" and don't care about rewards or gizmos or gadgets. I just want to PvP for its own sake and I want it against someone who may possibly beat me. It's often much better with a group too. That's me though. Others like the ability to earn rewards and like gadgets and gizmos.

PvP gets a bad rap sometimes and it's because no one really is settled on the definition of "true" PvP. And those that don't like it, merely see the bad in it. The great thing about WoW though, is that we've seen many people who would have never tried PvP before, giving it a try and finding they like it. I call that a win for PvP. Discounting those people or making them feel unwelcome isn't going to help though. Saying that just because someone doesn't like to gank or be ganked they shouldn't be in PvP likewise isn't helpful. PvPers should be letting people get their feet and find some confidence so that there are more people to PvP with.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#140 - July 15, 2011, 7:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Its arguable that this is the definition of PvE. Safety till max level then battlegrounds.

No. Not at all what I was implying in letting people "get their feet". Safety to max level isn't what most people are talking about here either. They're just talking about having a place to fall back on as well as not feeling that they are going to be dirt-napped repeatedly by people who won't give them a break.

It's not about safety so much as having a chance. No one wants to feel that they have no chance at all.

Aside from that, I'd like to ask people to refrain from posting too aggressively toward each other. The forums can sometimes be a sort of PvP (right?) but, let's try to leave each other some room to share viewpoints without feeling like they're being attacked for them. That includes attacking the OP if that wasn't very clear. ;)

I personally don't think killing a low level player makes you a "bad" PvPer. Sometimes there are opportunities you just can't pass up, or they looked at you funny, made a rude gesture, danced at you enticingly, these are all valid reasons. ;) It's generally a feeling that those that purposefully seek out low-level players are giving "true" PvPers out for a challenge a bad reputation.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#154 - July 15, 2011, 7:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/15/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Bynir
Neth, have you guys considered adding incentives to better facilitate world PvP? There's very little reason to leave cities and find combat. Things like weekly quests (the hero's call boards are very good places for this) to kill a faction leader chosen at random, slay x number of players in x city, etc. etc. would be really good.

The problem with these "incentives" is that they could potentially cause additional problems or not feel "good" to those that get caught in it when they don't want to be involved. Also keep in mind that though we have PvP and PvE realms, it's all the same game, so if we introduce something, it would go on all realms.

As you've seen we did some outdoor PvP incentives in Burning Crusade (after it was introduced in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands), but the difficulty then is keeping people involved and interested in going back to it.

We're always open to constructive feedback on these things, but introducing specific things into the world to inject PvP isn't a simple undertaking and has some potential pitfalls.

If the forums are like PVP, then I demand resilience. I get one-shotted all the time in these threads.

You just need tough hide and flame resistance. It builds up after time though. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#210 - July 15, 2011, 8:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/15/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Superglue
You just need tough hide and flame resistance. It builds up after time though. ;)

Talk about flame resistance! Your candle has been burning for how many years?

A little beyond five now. My anniversary was last month.

Btw, I'm still a strong advocate of players "organizing" events as well for their particular portion of the community. I love when I hear someone has set something up and run it with success. While it's not World PvP specifically, the War Games feature allows the opportunity to set up mini-tournaments if you want or hone group PvP skills. Then aside from that, nothing stops you from utilizing the current PvP objectives for events (as one person mentioned. /high five) or picking a "field of battle" to do an event in. Providing you're not disrupting the realm you're on (griefing per the definition of griefing vs PvP), these are great opportunities to make it happen.

We can put the mechanics in place on our end, but it's more complex than just saying "here you go" and having people take interest in something. This thread continues to exhibit the various viewpoints that exist in regard to this topic.

I'm really enjoying this conversation and appreciate everyone taking the time to share their viewpoints while keeping it constructive.