Do consumables (have to) belong in raiding?

#0 - Feb. 24, 2007, 7:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It can be argued that this post belongs in the suggestions forum but I would appreciate feedback from other raiders on the suggestion and I think chances of that are a great deal better here.

Tigole recently made a post regarding tuning of a specific raid encounter:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=77556707&sid=1&pageNo=1

He quickly received a lot of response from particularly high end raid guilds and a lot of comments about the consumable use and gearing they must have used in tuning to make such an encounter possible. Within the first 10 posts, the thread took this old turn:
Q u o t e:
to be fair, if everything were tested in non-consumeable conditions, we'd walk in fully consumeabled and destroy the content. and that would be unchallenging and stupid.

And that brings me to the debate of whether consumables really ought to belong in raiding.

Consumables have long since gone from being optional to being required, simply because they would otherwise be overpowered. The raid designers have had no choice but to oblige the profession team and balance encounters around the use of consumables. This brings several massive balance issues which others have already done a great job explaining in this thread (particularly first post):
http://elitistjerks.com/showthread.php?t=9383

The quick summary is that consumables are so awesomely powerful that they make way more of a difference than you can ever reasonably expect gear upgrades to do. This in turn makes them required and thus adds some rather heavy timesinks to raiding, which used to drive many Naxx raiders to the eventual choice of buying gold or quitting, if they couldn't manage 3 hours of farming for every 5 hours of playing. This is not a thing of the past, with Gruul by most accounts having consumable demands which put Loatheb to shame.

---
I propose a complete redesign and that consumables in their current form are removed from raiding!

The first argument which springs to mind is "But that would kill alchemy!". I have considered that and don't think that is the case:
Consider where you use consumables. They are too expensive to truly use outside raiding, because of supply and demand. Suppose you were to ban them from raiding and have them not require materials too expensive to use casually; you would have morphed the profession into one which provides provides a general boost and some utility in farming, questing and non-arena PvP.

I propose that all outside consumables and world buffs are left out of raiding and raid consumables are instead left entirely in the hands of the raid designers (same would apply to other bleeding edge content). I do believe that they add to the experience of playing and that the problem is rather the timesink-effect and that they don't force the players to prioritize but just let them get everything at the same time. My suggestion would then be that they were available for free or very cheap from vendors at the instance and that the "pile it on"-mentality (particularly stacking of elixirs) would be replaced with one where you have to make meaningful tactical choices. Suppose instances have between 2 and 5 groups of consumables and you can only have one from each in a battle. Here are some examples of what such a series of choices could be:
    - Do you want +dodge, element protection (shield), element resistance +health, +resilience, regeneration, +threat, +armor, healing potion, last stand potion, dispel potion or invul potion?
    - Do you want +damage, +healing, regeneration, mana potion, thistle tea, rage potion, health/mana/energy/rage leech, +crit, +hit, +skill, +pet stats, grenades?
    - Do you want clearcasting, chance of instant cast, chance of causing vulnerabilities, cleaving attack, a summoned ally, immunity to a specific skill, a taunt-potion or an AoE threatbomb-potion?

These are obviously just arbitrary examples. The opportunities would really be limitless, which could expand significantly on the potential complexity of encounters and encourage more unique guild- and player strategies, since there are so many more choices and all encounters would be balanced from the assumption that a player would have a buff from each group.

It could be a way to add way better PvE scaling since you could require those potions to be unlocked through rep, bosskills, quests etc. The ideal would be to earn alternate and equally good options - not superior options.

If designers are concerned about the removal of a heavy timesink, just balance the rewards we receive. The important thing is to let us spend our time playing and enjoying the game instead of having to work for hours in order to play the game. This will go a very long way towards making raid content accessible for the average player, which the developers have been striving for with the new content.

I see great potential from letting raid consumables be handled 100% by the raid designers. Particularly removing a boring timesink and opening many new tactical avenues. Even with many different possibilities, I still think it will be easier to balance than the current consumables system, which is nearly without limits for stacking.

I'm curious what you think of these suggestions and would love to see some feedback.
#92 - March 2, 2007, 2:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hey Crazygamer, did you see Tigole's post from yesterday regarding this? I don't know if it answers any of your questions, but I guess it can be of interest anyway:
Q u o t e:

Q u o t e:
1) The scale up in difficulty from 5 mans to heroic 5 mans and Karazhan is intense. We cleared through MoV on our first timer, then spent this week banging our heads against Romeo and Juliet. Most of our team has the best gear out of 5 mans. Since our gear is not going to get much better, and our skills will improve only so much after 2 years of raiding, the only way we'll be able to reliably beat this level of content is using massive amounts of consumables. At least 2-4 flasks, and food, pots, and elixirs for everyone. This kind of consumable mania is really against the spirit of our three nights a week, semi-casual raiding philosophy. If I need to spend 8 hours a week farming for raids I will likely not raid. Consumables are far too important now.

We're discussing various solutions to issues with consumables. We're aware of the issue and agree that it is an issue. With that said, I don't really think Karazhan is overly difficult and requires massive amounts of consumables.
Q u o t e:
2) The gear improvements from raiding are too poor. .

We're taking another look at the raiding gear. I'd agree with your statement.
Q u o t e:
3) The keying process is too difficult. I'm not worried about our normal raiders - what I'm worried about is attrition. What happens 5 months down the road when we need a fill in for the black temple? We'll have to recruit someone in blues, run them to revered with 3 factions, then through heroic 5 mans, Kara, etc. etc. etc. Because the keying process is so difficult the top guilds on the server will be even more relentless trying to pry members away from less progressed guild. A suggestion here would be to make the raids like Arcatraz - the person with the key can open the door. If not, replacing members is going to be very, very difficult.

I partially agree and partially disagree. We have some ideas that will help people "catch up" who join the endgame later on. With that said, I'm not so sure endgame players would like the face of the game if everyone had instant access to all of the content. There is something to be said for progression and the sense of accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, we have to be careful not to create a brick wall for new people, but I think there is a balance to be struck here.
Q u o t e:
4) There seems to be a distinct lack of 25 man raids that are going to be doable by "normal" guilds.

I agree. As I have already stated on these forums, Magtheridon is proving more difficult than intended. We are planning on toning him down. We've made some minor fixes to Gruul as well but I think that encounter needs to be toned down too. Gruul and Mag should feel like Onyxia did 6 months into vanilla WoW.
#291 - March 22, 2007, 2:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Potions were designed to be a clever backup in a crisis. The whole concept of constantly spamming potions is broken.
Chaining mana potions whenever the cooldown is already pretty stupid design but stoneshield potions take the prize - they are designed to last exactly the cooldown and add such a huge benefit that they are often required. The end result is that you take away the option for tanks and healers to use ordinary potions - that makes the gameplay *less* complex, not more challenging. It's broken design, even without the heavy timesink.

I think you have valid points, and these points have been discussed by developers as well (as stated in my previous post). I will make sure to forward the input in this thread as well, but at the moment I don't have any new information.

Just as a start point for discussion – do you think the latest nerf to Gruul for example will change the use of consumables in that encounter? (I don't know myself, that's why I'm asking you ;) ).