Shield Mastery talent explained

#0 - Feb. 2, 2007, 12:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've decided to write this post because I see questions about this talent almost daily. Please make this post a Sticky or incorporate into an existing Warrior Guide Sticky if not already present.

The Shield Mastery talent tooltip is very poorly worded as they simply took the text from the original Paladin “Shield Specialization” talent. This was not so bad for Paladins where there was no relevance to Shield Slam and less “+Block Value” itemization for people to call into question.

The talent tooltip says:

"Increases the amount of damage absorbed by your shield by 10/20/30 %".

At the very least it should be changed to say:

"Increases your total shield block value by 10/20/30 %. Your Shield Slam damage modifier gains the benefit of this increased shield block value.”

Key points are:

1. Your total Shield Block Value is the Block Value of your Shield + all items or abilities which "increases the Block Value of your Shield by n" + Strength/20 (will edit if I can be shown it's Strength/21or22)
This is the amount of Physical damage you absorb on a successful Block, not a change in the Shield’s Armour.

If you take Shield Mastery you then gain 10/20/30 % increase to that total value. This therefore includes all items with a +Block Value component not just the value inherent to your Shield.

In essence all sources and terms are combined into one simple value: Block Value and Shield Mastery increases that final value.

2. Your total Shield Block Value does apply fully to Shield Slam damage.
Note that Shield Slam gains your total shield block value as damage not just a proportion of it for being an “instant cast spell”.
Frankly I think Shield Slam should be reworded to make it clear that you get your total Shield Block Value as a modifier and it should even dynamically display that damage as Bloodthirst does.

Conclusion:

Shield Mastery helps to make Block a stronger source of overall damage mitigation but don't overlook the benefit to Shield Slam damage and threat: with current endgame Tanking gear being loaded with +Block Value, if you have Shield Slam you really should also take 3/3 Shield Mastery.
#8 - Feb. 2, 2007, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nice post there, thank you :) I will only blue tag it for now, but maybe someone would like to include this in their stickied tanking guides?