Class concerns. Keep it simple & constructive

#0 - March 28, 2007, 5:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for Ommra's feedback on locked threads and a posters who made a nice suggestions on how to convey class concerns, I am starting this thread in order to nail this message neatly and appropriately.

Class concern 1:
Lack of defense against melee

Description of problem:
At lvl 70 with good gear from lvl70 instances or pvp gear lvl 70, a warlock has around 10k HP. This health pool combined with any specs does not allow the warlock to survive or indeed retaliate against certain melee classes. A warlock was designed with a large HP pool and deathcoil was changed in order to give warlocks a way to escape certain death againt melee. This is not the case anymore and these defenses are inadequate today (patch 2.0.10). (tested all specs with 200 resilience and it does not change anything).

Suggestions:
Make deathcoil not resistible.
or
Make resilience give more benefit points for points
or
Make the warlock pvp trinket break stuns and slow effects
or
Make a new ability that would either reduce physical damage taken by a % for x seconds.
or
Make a new ability that would banish the warlock for x seconds (like ice block) and make him unable to attack but invulnerable to physical attack (but not to magic damage)

Now to you warlocks.

Lichdawg.

PS1: this post do not call for any nerf. Re-read my post again.
PS2: please keep the same layout for all class concerns.
PS3: I dont think this can logically be locked since the post follows the guidelines.

edit:grammar

Noticeable posts:
Grutt from chromaggus

Q u o t e:

Ummmm soul link? Or are you talking from a none demo spec?

I think they should never of nerfed SL. I stick by what I said that a Demo locks damage should be nerfed rather than it's defence. At least then the lock has a defensive option to choose but at the moment a lock has least defensive options out of all the classes.

Edit: Their should be a rank 2 of SL. 40% abs but reduces the lock damage by 15%. So then you can choose between the two ranks.

Squeaks from dragonmaw makes a nice list of our supposed abilities and their shortcomings
Q u o t e:

1) howl of terror - Regular fear. Can be neutralized with death wish, berserker rage, recklessness, will of the forsaken, cloak of shadows, or a blanket silence.
2) fear - see above
3) deathcoil - resisted far too often, useless against classes with magic immunity such as rogues
4) Curse of weakness - nigh useless. Was changed from a fixed damage amount to a fixed AP amount, when all it really needs to be is a percentage. 5% or more damage reduction, stackable with other effects would make it worthwhile.
5) curse of exaustion - Intercept/Charge will remove snaring effects soon, there is sprint/crippling poison. Has it uses, but relies on a lot of luck.
6) shadowfury - not available to all specs, and has a cast time. Not affected by intensity, so bugged -- a 0.5 second cast can be tripled, maybe more.
7) seduction - available to a pet, which is not always out. Otherwise pretty good, but once again useless against magic-immune targets
8) soothing kiss - Good in theory, against a class with a ton of instants, it's useless.
9) Sacrifice(voidwalker) - The only true defensive ability a Warlock has against melee, but once again available to a pet that is not always out.
10) suffering - reducing hit chance is good, but as with soothing kiss only really good in theory. Most melee will have enough +hit to offset this.
11) Intercept - requires a specific pet to a specific spec, and has a minimum range. If a Warrior charges you first or a rogue stunlocks and there is no mob to send the pet to, forget about this.
12) Healthstone - Usually only prolongs your death, can help slightly, but good luck using one before you're actually killed
13) Aftermath - Once again, good in theory, but Warlocks lack instant abilities that can take advantage of a daze effect. Searing pain might be worthwhile, but good luck getting it off with a melee class in your face.
14) Shadow Embrace - 5% damage reduction. Will turn a 1500 sinister strike into a 1425 sinister strike. Great, I guess.
15) Soulstone - not really a defensive ability, as you're dead to take advantage of it :)

Dkartma From earthen ring has some concerns about pve abilties like soul shatter
Q u o t e:

PVE concern here:

Soul Shatterer gets resisted quite often in many fights. As all know, it does have a long cooldown, thus making you unable to do anything. The biggest of problems comes with the Dots. If all are out, you can do nothing but watch as your aggro growing until they run out.

What I suggest is oneof the following:

>Reduce the CD 2-3 mins.
>Reduce the resistance for it. (I think this would be the best balanced option)
>Give us a spell to callback the Dots. Sort of a spell that removes your dots from a target.

Elouise from Ligntning Blade
Q u o t e:

Rework the final rank of demon armour so that we can chose + armour and defense for pvp and + dps fel armour for pve.

Valora frim Nordrassil on soul shards in Azeroth
Q u o t e:

One of my concerns for warlocks is soul shards in Azeroth. They are almost impossible to get due to the need for level 62 mobs to get anything. Kind of annoying if you are having some fun trying ORBs with as few people as possible. Granted not a paramount issue but an issue all the same.

One fix would be a level 58 level cap for shards, that way there would at least be WPL where you could get shards without going back to Outlands.

Shards are essential to most locks but more so to demo locks. I would like to see fel domination remove the shard cost of summoning a demon. A free demon every 15 minutes isn't exactly what I would call overpowered and I don't see any arguements against it.
#71 - March 29, 2007, 2:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
i have always thought that a reduction in damage taken should be the way to go, i always wondered why pain supression was not in the warlock build as it suits our class more than its current placement.

we are a class that enjoys reciving and dealing pain it is our nature given that fact we should naturally have a high tolarence for pain.

how ever i do not belive that we will see any ground breaking changes to our class in the near furture due to the continual calls for more nerfs to our class.

i agree with op in the respect that we need some chance against melle class´s, even with my high hp 9880 unbuffed at mo, i still die in a few seconds in arenas 3v3 and 5v5. i am the primary target for killing due to the reduced difference in hp between class´s and im a cloth and i cannot respond or use any items for the duration of the attack, i cannot even use the hs when i am stuned. a mage (if specked) can iceblock and recive heals and you can hear the outraged howls of the melle class´s, palys bubble and there screams become even more. so warlock is always the first target because if we ARE left alone we can cuase massive problems for the other side (seed of corupption in 5v5 a wonderful thing)

i hope one day we will recive a good buff, i do not count the succy suduction of elites as a buff due to the way sucduce works, in case ppl arnt aware, succy suduces target, target breaks sucduction, target runs to healer and one shots him, succy suduces target. if ppl can help me work out how i can stop this happening and not be 2 shotted my self plz let me know.

Interesting opinions. It has been mentioned several times now that warlocks feel less viable in arenas, but I haven't seen that many examples of why. Feel free to elaborate. It also seems that arenas is the main issue for many of you at the moment, is that correct?

Just asking because I am interested in how you perceive the warlock class. Not promising any changes here ;)