Why elitists don't help casuals

#1 - June 22, 2011, 6:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since the flavour of the month QQ seems to be "why don't you help us instead of kicking us for standing in the fire and doing 2k dps?" I feel the need to respond to the most common 'alternative' presented: "Why don't you help us with our gear/spec/rotation?"

The reasons are many and straightforward.

1) I don't play a Death Knight, or a Paladin, or a Warlock, or a Rogue. Unless you play a Mage or Priest, I have no idea what your correct rotation is. I have only a vague handle on your correct stat priorities and could only point out the most obvious of missed talents.

2) More often than not, people respond with "stfu !@#$" when I suggest that perhaps agility/spellpen gear is not the correct choice for a Death Knight. Yes, this happens even when I am polite about it.

3) Even if my advice is taken to heart, I don't benefit from it. I may be able to convince the aforementioned Death Knight to gem into Strength instead of Agility, but he's not going to port out of the dungeon, reforge, regem and reenchant all his gear, and then port back. I still have to finish the dungeon with him before this advice might take root.

4) It's not my job to teach you how to play your class. I learned correct rotations etc. by spending ten seconds on google. Some people complain that this is somehow "way too much work" for a video game but I would suggest it is easier than getting kicked and/or cussed out every time you try to run an instance.

5) Last but not least, it's just not worth my time. Even if they immediately pick up an extra 2k DPS from me helping them...so what? My group is good enough to carry a DPS no matter how bad they are. So even if everything goes perfectly it's just easier for me to keep my mouth shut, watch you burn to death in the puddle of fire under your feet while tripping on your swords, and maybe kick you if you actually hold us back.

When I lead a raid, or someone takes the time to ask me a question like "what should I do here?" I'm absolutely willing to help. But it's not my job to go find out how to play a DK because you don't know how.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#257 - June 22, 2011, 10:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since this thread has been thoroughly derailed by trolling, it's been locked.

http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct