Improved Shadow Bolt explained

#0 - May 14, 2007, 12:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I decided to post this thread because I can see there is a lot of confusion around this matter. I know that experienced warlocks will think this thread has really no meaning but I think it's good to clear things up for those new warlocks that don't understand/misunderstand what improved shadow bolt does really. I will use fully improved shadow bolt talent for the purposes of the example. So:

When your SB crits, a debuff (shadow vulnerability=SV) is placed on your target. That debuff increases ALL shadow damage taken by 20% and can last up to 12 seconds. So SV will actually increase the damage:

- your shadow dots tick for,
- of your next SB,
- of your drain life,
- of another warlock's SB and shadow dots and drain life,
- of the spells of a shadow priest,
- of a shadow dmg wand
- etc..etc..

Now, SV has 4 charges hence the number "4" on the icon on your target. That means that the debuff will stay on the target until 4 NON-PERIODIC shadow dmg sources are applied. So dots do NOT consume the charges of SV debuff. Direct shadow damage will though. So a shadow bolt, a shadow burn, a shadow wand or a mind blast will consume 1 charge.

When all 4 charges are consumed by direct shadow damage or 12 seconds pass without all 4 charges having been consumed, SV ends.

If the target is hit by a new shadow bolt crit while under the influence of the debuff, the charges become again 4 and the 12 sec timer is reset and starts ticking for another 12 seconds.

I really hope I helped some warlocks figuring how this talent really works.
#2 - July 25, 2007, 1:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I decided to post this thread because I can see there is a lot of confusion around this matter. I know that experienced warlocks will think this thread has really no meaning but I think it's good to clear things up for those new warlocks that don't understand/misunderstand what improved shadow bolt does really.

Nice initiative, hence the blue-tag :-)