GM's suspending accounts

#1 - June 22, 2011, 3:54 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I reported to a GM that multiple members in our guild were banned for 48 hours because their previous GM was mad that they left his guild to join ours. I knew there was nothing the GM could tell me in regards to another persons account but wanted to make sure they were aware of the abuse of the system to report people and them just getting insta-suspended without question. That was my complaint. Why our member were banned completely without any warning what-so-ever simply because someone in game put in an uninvestigated ticket. The response was.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We value your time and it's community members like you who help make Blizzard games the most epic entertainment experience ever.

I understand what you mean Shadowwings, thats pretty shallow; and its something we cant action him for because have no proof he did not have legitimate concern. If you feel this should be changed, please explain how it should be done. But of course, please post it on the forums.

First I note the response of "please explain how it should be done", which felt to me like this GM saying "you think you're so smart you tell me". Not really in a childish tone like that but you get the point. Either way no matter the intended tone I completely agree. I'm sure it could and would get frustrating to try and try to make the game better and safer and some random person put in a ticket which could have felt like they were calling a GM out.

As far as "what would I do" I would simply contact the player or investigate. Our member wasn't contacted in any way and according to the response in the ticket "no proof he did not have legitimate concern" that there was no investigation. I'm sure checking even anything as simple as his recent transactions would've helped. Did he take stuff from the previous guild bank? Did he take gold? Did he vendor gear? And why would someone hack his account and others simply to join another guild?

If our member(s) were contacted via whisper like it used to be the answers would've been given to them right away or at least some proof. You can't always take the word of someone in text but could've at least talked to them and said "We found this problem. You need to contact us immediately to avoid being banned."

Instead some disgruntled GM that lost members puts in a random ticket saying "they got hacked" just so he can screw them over and Blizzard says "Okay cool. Banhammer." Which tells me with the current system when I do get annoyed with someone in trade chat all I have to do is report them hacked and Blizzard will say "We had no proof his claim wasn't legit".

As instructed by the ticket response I have posted my opinion on how this was handled on the forums.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#9 - June 22, 2011, 5:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I don't think I could have put it better, Eilethalua, and I think it best if we leave it at that.

The problem with issues regarding other accounts is that what actually happened is not nearly as simple or as straightforward as it seems.

In either case I would be unable to discuss the matter, and it appears that the subject of the issue has had the matter resolved.