Buffs, online status, location. Also...

#1 - June 17, 2011, 3:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Curious whether this character information will be available without being logged into the game.

Also, I'm not totally clear on whether the character/guild/arena team information now available to play with. Is that true or not?
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#7 - June 20, 2011, 4:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Well location, I just mean in game, not irl. Online status isn't really private, insofar as the character is either online or not. But I take your point. As far as the buffs go, is it possible to tell whether or not someone has, say, a flask up, based on their armory page entry? I didn't see anything like that just looking around.

Before we receive any character data, temporary buffs and spells are stripped from the data. We don't have any way of saying what pet you currently have out, what mount you are on or what buffs the character has.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#9 - June 20, 2011, 6:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/19/2011 09:55 PMPosted by Cantalop
I remember in BC that wasn't the case. For example I remember people logging out while drinking water to grossly inflate their MP5 shown in the Armory, as well as raid buffs.

Yeah, that was a bug that has long been fixed.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#13 - June 20, 2011, 2:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
How was it a bug? There was an area on each person's armory that had all the buff icons that were on your character when you logged out. When you hovered over an icon, it would display the name of the buff.

I miss-spoke, allow me to clarify what I meant. Yes, we did display some of the buffs on the character during log out. Hence, if you were in a raid and had "Power Word: Fortitude", your HP would be inflated. This lead to a number of quirks with having to strip some things manually and understand how spell effects influenced stats and attributes. There were a number of bugs that resulted from having to 'debuff' characters, which lead to the decision to remove that feature.

Alas, we are starting to stray from thread's topic.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#15 - June 20, 2011, 5:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Be cool.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#18 - June 20, 2011, 7:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/20/2011 12:56 PMPosted by Gobthar
Presences would be sweet too. For the same reason.

It is unlikely that we'll ever expose online presence information, mostly for technical reasons. We have been exploring the idea of displaying the zone that you were in when you logged out though.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#20 - June 20, 2011, 8:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/20/2011 01:28 PMPosted by Communism
He meant DK presences. :P

Ha, ty.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#22 - June 21, 2011, 8:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
If this is the case, can we please have the option to opt. out of it? I feel that's a bit intrusive. Similar case being people suggesting showing off currency counts and such. I do not want others knowing how much gold I have, or any of my alts have. (I know this isn't exactly the topic but exposure of data is so I am making this comment anyway.)

Let us not get whipped up into a frenzy over something that isn't planned. Take comfort in knowing that if we were to do that feature, and we currently are not, it would be a ways away given the backlog of other more important features to implement.