So, care to explain? (quoted from Shindo)

#0 - April 14, 2007, 5:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since the other thread was locked and since I think that this is very relevant questions which we all would like to hear the answers to I decided to remake the thread under the rules of Blizzards FAQ.

Question queted from Shindo:

Hi Ommra!

I assume now that you are the link between the community of players here and the devs, you read and listen to our feedback and then forwards it to the devs, correct? Might be more to it, that I don't know about - but thats the basic concept I guess ...

Now today we see the new patch notes - woho, how nice! For months have we been waiting for this, been spamming the forums with good, sane and constructive ideas for how, we, the shamans can be improved. And today we all went to see what the devs have made out of the suggestion box, that I assume, you Ommra created for us?

Now after reading the patch notes, I was and I assume more others, was a bit upset. Not necessery because of the WF "fix", that was expected - but more disatisfied for the lack of improvements, there is nothing from our suggestions that we have been feeding you and the devs with?

And well now my question is, why was there nothing put into there, that we have suggested and wished for? Why was there nothing to help our situation? I'm not talking about BUGS, they are expected to get fixed, just like the WF bug and the poision cleanse bug. But we've made so much effort and made so many suggestions - but all in vain?

Where are they and why did they not get into the patch? Have we been asking for too much? Have we been asking for the wrong stuff? Do the devs feel we are "fine"? Give us anything, please? A little hint on whats going on ... would help a lot?

Thanks in advance ...

So, care to explain? :)
#4 - April 14, 2007, 7:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
there's something there about poisons being applied based on the level of the player instead of the weapon

Yep, that's the poison fix. Looking at the levels of the weapons versus the levels of the characters using them I'm sure it'll be a significant change.

On the general questions of feedback given vs. changes happening...

Once in a while things need a swift change when they turn out to be very different from intended, but in general changes to the game, and especially to classes and class balance, are done with much deliberation and very carefully. This isn't a simple set of weighing scales, but a network of millions of elements where also seeing things in the live gaming environment (and very importantly the public test realms and the feedback based on the test phase) is a key factor.

Suggestions and ideas are always welcome, and though we don't post that this or that suggestion has been forwarded (legal stuff) they are taken into account. If something is not used directly it can still be an element in brainstorming or simply trigger another idea. However, I think one must scale one's expectations carefully and keep in mind the bigger picture and also accept that others (e.g. Blizzard) may not be of the exact same opinion.
#5 - April 14, 2007, 7:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
so the fact is dont complain...

Complaining is such a negative word. I prefer calling it feedback, and it may be very negative but it should always be put forward in a constructive and mature manner. Name-calling and other insults, obscene/profane language, trolling and threats should be left behind when participating on these forums.
#7 - April 14, 2007, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
This is not meant to be targeted at the person above me whose name i cannot mention for the safety of this thread

???
#11 - April 14, 2007, 7:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
As you mentioned in another thread that was locked away, the name of the company which is developing this game nor the names of any employees should not be mentioned in the forums, such things will be frowned upon. Unless i misunderstood something.

Ah, no. It's only frowned upon in the subject line, as some use it as an attention seeking tactic. The subject should stand on it's own merit instead of using such sensational tactics to get attention. It's the same reason we lock threads with unnecessary CAPS and punctuation (like "!!!!????!!!!" and "!!!>>>important topic<<<!!!").
#14 - April 14, 2007, 7:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Ok, being purely objective here, if they 'deliberate' on such changes, why on earth was elemental focus implemented in it's current form in the first place?

From the way you descibe the process, it seems that this never should have happened.

That's where the part about seeing it in a live environment comes in, and some changes need to be observed over time to see the lasting effect. By all means, the process is in no way fail safe, and I personally wouldn't expect that to be possible for an MMO. I think our developers are doing a good job at minimizing the need to change things back and forth, considering the numerous combinations and dependencies in the game.
#17 - April 14, 2007, 8:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Do not post about locked threads

We'd only lock if the thread itself is about a locked thread. Mentioning a locked thread in a reply isn't the same and would at most lead to the single reply being deleted.

Q u o t e:
If you could (try) and find answers to the other issues I raised, that would be appreciated.

The other issues go into the bracket of "feedback and suggestions", which isn't something I can reply to directly except perhaps with personal opinions - which I don't wish to as it runs the risk of labelling me a Shaman hater or fanboy for all eternity. ;)
#21 - April 14, 2007, 8:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So youre saying that you dont really care about what the players think, just change things that you think matters? Would explain everything.

I understand well that there's some disappointment going around these days, but this is a rather "you hate me!" accusation which is hardly bringing anything constructive. Please, there's no need for such.

To answer the question: not at all. Having differing opinions doesn't mean one can't listen to others and take the feedback (heavily) into account, including adjusting one's own original view of the matter. It doesn't mean one should adopt any and all opinions though, not even those most vocal.

#57 - April 16, 2007, 10:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I can't stick around in this thread much, but a few comments on some posts:

Q u o t e:
iv just gone one simple question, do you seriously mean that shamans are in balance of all the other classes?..

My personal opinion on any class or spec is irrelevant. We gather and forward player feedback, not our own.

However, I'm a firm believer in constructive discussion, which does in no way include swearwords, name-calling, words in the same group as "useless" and "clueless", or stating one's own opinion as absolute truth (regardless of the number of people screaming the same as oneself). We leave the debate to you, and settle for keeping the medium of discussion in an orderly fashion and ensure you that the arguments are forwarded.

Q u o t e:
Your lazy and you dont give a **#!, thats why.
Q u o t e:
Please, open your eyes and stop beeing such a ignorant prick, it's neither nice nor polite.
Q u o t e:
95% of the devs think they know everything about a shaman after 10 minutes of testing. FACT.

Three quick examples of comments (two petty insults, one sour "clueless"/"you hate us" comment towards the devs) not belonging in a constructive medium, and a good reason the entire post they're in is generally ignored 4except for moderation purposes.

Q u o t e:
dont try to kill me with your nifty little rogue of yours

If you lose against my Rogue, I must have caught you with your lowbie alt... or AFK.

Q u o t e:
So answer just one simple question, Will be see some improvments or not?

If I say "yes" I'll be lynched on the forums if there's no improvements in the next patch, and every patch after. Not by you, but by whoever bothers to dig up the quote. :p

There will always be ongoing adjustments in an MMO. I'd be very surprised if there won't be positive adjustments to the Shaman class (and all other classes, and all talent trees), regardless of the eye of the beholder.

Q u o t e:
Man that communicates with shaman comunity in front of blizzard is playing rogue?

Sounds like you have a strange opinion of what qualifications are needed to gather and forward feedback on a professional level. By that logic we shouldn't play the game. ;p