Tests about enhancement shaman

#0 - Jan. 13, 2007, 2:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok as I said, I spent this afternoon testing stuff. I respecced and placed talents up to parry (but no points in elemental weapons) and did the 1st test, then placed points up to dual wield and did the 2nd test, then placed a single point in stormstrike and did the 3rd test, then proceeded to place points up to shamanistic rage and did the fourth and final test.

I have to warn you guys, I was surprised by a few results and a few "side effects" :P

Test 1 -> what is elemental weapons really doing?

Method: 15 minutes worth of windfury proccs without elemental weapons talent, then 15 minutes of windfury proccs with elemental weapons.

I got an average of 412.1 for windfury without elemental weapons and 579.0 with elemental weapons. Now if elemental weapons were only affecting attack power, the difference would be of (445-333 = 112) * 3.7 = 32.2 damage, equivalent to the extra AP in one attack. However, as you can see, I got 579, which is much higher. Now, is it adding 40% damage? 579/412.1 = 1.405, meaning I got an increase in WF damage of 40.5%.

Conclusion: Elemental weapons is indeed increasing WF damage by 40%, and the "effect" is reffering to the "2 extra attacks with damage..." and not the "333 ap".

Test 2 -> Is the improved dual wield talent working? (since some said it wasn't)

Method: 500 swings without talent, 500 swings with talent, check the number of misses.

I got 62 misses before I had the talent and 61 misses with the talent 0_o. Granted I did not take a sufficiently high sample, but at best this test is inconclusive, and if we are to believe what I got as numbers, it really isn't working. W....eird! Anyway, this COULD have been a really long streak of bad luck, as I said, since I didn't take a substantial sample.

Conclusion: It's possibly not working/I got very unlucky

Test 3-> Is stormstrike proccing windfury?

Method 1(easy): face almost 90º away from the mob untill your white hits don't land and you get the "you must be facing ..." message. Then use stormstrike. It still hits, and if you get a WF, it had to come from the stormstrike.

Method 2(hard): use a veeeery slow weapon, and pray you don't crit on your first hit. Start the fight with a white hit with your weapon unbuffed, then quickly buff your weapon, stormstrike, and turn of autoattack. If you get a WF procc, it had to come from the stormstrike.

Both methods got proccs

Conclusion: SS is proccing WF!!

Test 4 -> How exactly does shamanistic rage work?

Method: get 2 fast 1h gray weapons (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=1492) and 2 slower gray 1h weapons (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=1531) from any vendor (I bought these at the barrens). Head to a random place with mobs with lots of health (I chose azshara's blue dragons). Equip the 2 fast weapons, attack and use shamanistic rage. Kill the mob and let the cooldown refresh. Repeat 10 times. Then the same for the slow weapons. Never use stormstrike.

I had 135 proccs with the fast weapons and 141 proccs with the slow weapons. Now if it were a fixed%, by getting 135 proccs in 10 sessions means I get an average of 13.5 proccs each session of 30 seconds. Since I was hitting once every 1.4/2= 0.7 seconds, this means I swing 42 times in that period, giving me a 13.5/42 = 32.1% procc chance. Using that chance on the slow weapons, where I hit once every 2.5/2=1.25 seconds, considering I swing 24 times, I should get 24*0.321= 7.7 proccs. I got twice as much, it can't be luck.

Conclusion: IT IS PPM!!!! JOY!! ^_^ !!!11!11!one!!!eleven!!!

Side effect I noticed when using a 2h to check for proccs... I had this in my combat log several times in these extra sessions of shamanistic rage:
mob hits me
white hit
shamanistic rage procc
windfury hit 1
windfury hit 2
shamanistic rage procc
mob hits me

Now where did that 2nd procc come from? Unless I am missing something, it must have come from the WF hits, which means... THEY'VE REVERSED THE "wf hits don't procc shamanistic rage" CHANGE!

Well, there you go. A few wasted hours. Hope someone finds this helpfull.

Snorkle
#42 - Feb. 5, 2007, 9:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Nice work there Snorkle :)