Why all the whining?

#1 - June 10, 2011, 4:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Day after day I keep reading posts of people whining about the Need OS looting, bad players, lack of variety, complexity of content and I have to really wonder what is wrong with the majority of people playing WOW / complaining on the forums.

I started playing WOW right before the Cataclysm, this warlock is my main toon and since I leveled two more, I raid with my guild and pugs once in a while, run LFD dungeons and even tank once in a while on my DK. All that while having a job, a family and kids.

Have I met bad players in LFD, sure, quite few. Am I a great player, likely no but I am a decent player. Did I need explanations, sure I did. Did I make mistakes, of course. Have I been met with rudeness, yes, sometimes, but most of the time a bit of politeness and patience goes a long way. I thank people who helped me and I try to help people with explanations, and even chants, gems and gold when I see that they will actually benefit from it.

Just like IRL there are stupid / inept people in the community. But just like IRL this is a community that you make. You do not like the "convenience" of LFD, get a group of people together in your home city to play with you, that is why there are features like guilds and friends, and general and trade channels.

I do not understand why people expect everything do just fall in their hands, why is this sense of entitlement? You do not like being ganked, move to the RP server. You are burned out and tired of current content, why not revisit old one and get some achievements / vanity items. You do not like the grind and like to smash things, go PVP. You are blazing through quests and dungeons leveling, why not freeze XP and run content at a certain level to experience it as it was intended?

I think people that are whining simply forget (or just do not know) what it is like to live in a real world in the competitive community. Grow up and get some common sense. Stop whining and start playing and enjoying yourself.

TLDR: The game's community is just like IRL community. Stop whining, you want instant gratification - get some ice cream or a chocolate (for PG crowd, scale appropriately for adults). There are many ... many ways to have fun in this game, if you just make an effort and play along instead of against...
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - June 10, 2011, 5:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Well, generally speaking, if you're having fun playing, have no issues or concerns, you're probably not going to come to the forums.

I'd say the vast majority of people don't like to interact on forums regularly as an activity, most use them to have their voice heard, and generally people want their voice heard when they have something on the 'negative' angle to say.

It stands to reason that the forums aren't going to be people praising the game. People that are enjoying everything are in the game playing. Which isn't to say people posting here aren't also enjoying the game, some just have things to say about the bits they may not be happy about. Either way, someone taking the time to post is someone that thinks it's worth their time to do so. Even if the post is negative the fact that a post is being made means there's still a passion there for the game, or else they wouldn't bother.