What I think is missing

#1 - June 7, 2011, 8:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
(reposted this from a different thread because I think it needs it's own, because I havent seen this issue brought up yet.)

QUESTS. I'm sorry, but I cannot say it enough. I raid, but my guild only raids 3 days of the week, so what am I to do the other 4 days, Grind Dailies? I have maxed reputations on 2 of my characters, and I have leveled 2 more through all the content there is right now. BC and Wrath had more quests than just enough to get you to max level, you had to go back and do them to see more story. That is missing in Cata. They gave us just enough to get us to level 85, then consider Dalies "Content". I'm sorry but I don't consider dailies content, I consider threm busy work.

If they want people to have more to do, give us more to do, not just "Here's 7 more bosses that most of you won't get to see, yay". Not all quests have to be turned into dailies, either, a good ending to a storyline is just as good, if not better than the beginning or the middle. Dailies make you feel like you're not accomplishing anyhting or making a difference in the world around you, which is actually my favorite part about most of the new stuff they put in with Cata, you feel like you're changing things, until you get to 85, then everything has to be done day after day, so there's no end point to the story.

I know I could go back and do the questlines I was talking about in Wrath and BC now, but I don't want to, I had 2 years each to do those ones, and I have (Albeit across several different characters). I want new stories with new things that we accomplish and new ending points. I liked Ulduar for this reason, it was a good story, with almost no loose ends for dailies. Only problem was, there aren't enough of these storylines.

I believe this is what people are complaining most about and want back, they just don't know how to put it yet. I have done a lot of thinking on this subject because Cata is the first time I've actually thought about quitting the game since it started, and this seems to be the biggest thing missing that we actually had in previous expansions. We even had NEW questlines that would open up when we got to max level, or certain reputations with different factions, what happened to that?

I don't think anyone would complain about more quests and stories and things to do, and I'm not trying to make this a Hardcore vs. Casuals thing, I think everyone could appreciate more, and it would benefit everyone.

TL;DR: I think people are missing the ample amounts of quests we used to get, since Cata seems to only have given us enough to reach max level.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - June 7, 2011, 9:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/07/2011 01:22 PMPosted by Babaduru
BC and Wrath had more quests than just enough to get you to max level, you had to go back and do them to see more story. That is missing in Cata. They gave us just enough to get us to level 85, then consider Dalies "Content". I'm sorry but I don't consider dailies content, I consider threm busy work.

Well, to be fair, Cataclysm introduced 65+ levels of new quests. For each faction.

I realize that isn't all end-game questing content, but it's work that was done - needed to be done - to fix a lot of the old world and leveling experience. But it was quest content nonetheless, and it doesn't create itself.

Also, from our perspective, Burning Crusade had too much leveling content. Not too much for you, I realize, because you enjoyed going back and doing it. But the vast majority did not, and so the bang for the buck in development time probably wasn't spent wisely. In Wrath of the Lich King it was closer, but ultimately you were still left with at least Icecrown to finish after hitting 80 (if not more).

We find that the leveling-quest content works best when it's providing the benefits of leveling, meaning XP. When leveling quests stop progressing your character in that way the appeal of quests drops substantially. If that happens too far after hitting a level cap the content loses the majority of its appeal. Again, I realize that may not apply to you because you enjoy the story, but that's not the case for most. Most quest to gain XP and improve their character.

At max level the game switches, and the types of quests that exist for the purpose of level cap function very differently and their rewards are appropriately offset from being mainly XP based, to some of kind of benefit for max-level characters.

If they want people to have more to do, give us more to do, not just "Here's 7 more bosses that most of you won't get to see, yay".

Well, quite a lot of people do raid so I don't think that's a fair assessment. You do not appear to have thus far, but with the balance changes in 4.2 I think you should absolutely be able to pug the Cataclysm raids. That's a lot of content you haven't seen yet.

Dailies make you feel like you're not accomplishing anyhting or making a difference in the world around you

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the dailies in 4.2. Seriously.