The real deal on the hemo change

#0 - Dec. 6, 2007, 6:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just thought I'd spell out out how severe the hemo nerf is for raiding rogues. Not bad really!

With my 11/27/23 spec, my damage from the instant attack portion of hemo is about 21% of my total damage in fights when rupture is useable.

The nerf from 125% to 110% is a 12% loss in hemo damage. 0.21*0.12 = roughly 2.5% loss in your overall damage as seen on the damage meter (i.e. not counting damage from other ppl using your hemo stacks).

The change to the hemo debuff ups the damage it does from 360 to 420 (+60 damage). If you hemo roughly every 4 seconds, that is 15 DPS extra from the improved debuff. My average DPS is around 950, so this extra 15 DPS is a 1.6% damage buff (if you count it towards yourself). Even if you do a pimpin 1200 DPS, it is a 1.3% damage increase.

As you can see, the majority of rogues will lose less than 1% DPS in raids, if you include the improved hemo debuff.

Let me know if you see a mistake, I know ya will!

edit: typos
#11 - Dec. 7, 2007, 7:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We realise that there are some confusion regarding the Hemo change, and that many of you feel that the damage reduction is too much.

The developers felt that Hemo was overpowered. Pretty much every rogue was switching to Hemo because of this, so they made the change to tone it down somewhat. The developers want the subtlety tree to be a good support tree instead.
#329 - Dec. 18, 2007, 10:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I realize that my previous post in this thread is somewhat vague, so to make things a little more clear, I will repeat what has been posted by my good colleague Eyonix on the US forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3272966990&postId=33537786022&sid=1#2

To clarify we don't simply make changes to an ability because it becomes popular. The changes done to hemorrhage (lowering its damage) is being done because we never intended for hemo rogues to do more damage, rather, our goal was to make the subtlety tree a viable alternative to combat and assassination. What resulted however, was not an increased number of subtlety rogues, but an increased number of rogues going just far enough down the subtlety tree to get hemorrhage.

We intend to tweak subtlety some more in upcoming patches, but ultimately won’t be able to flesh it out until Wrath of the Lich King.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hemorrhage was intended to give heavy subtlety rogues some added damage, and to give the overall tree some additional appeal. Instead, many rogues just went down to the new hemo and ignored the rest. Our goal now is to make further improvements to the tree as a whole, so it has enough appeal and viability to compete with combat and assassination. Major changes will likely not come before the expansion, but we are looking in to more immediate tweaks as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When a class doesn’t feel it’s gaining anything when they spec deeper in a tree (to a 41 pt talent, for example), that is an issue. We tried to accomplish this for warriors with moving death wish to arms, by adding focused will to discipline, etc. The results can sometimes be mixed. There are definitely many more discipline priests now than a few patches ago, but not as many 41-pt talent arms warriors as there were before.

We want there to be more subtlety rogues, and we’re working to improve the tree. One way was to give the tree more damage, through hemorrhage. Unfortunately, that didn’t really improve the tree because everyone just stopped with the AR/Prep spec. What resulted was an increased power of the rogue class as a whole (not just the subtlety spec), which was unintended.
#330 - Dec. 18, 2007, 10:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We know that many of you may have additional questions you would like to have answered, so please rest assured that we will keep you updated as soon as new information becomes available to us.