Another beef with Enchanters and Dungeons.

#1 - June 6, 2011, 7:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello, my name is Doctroll, and I am an enchanter.

Many of you know me since it's the only way you can take something from an item you have no use for, unlike me. Yes, I'm talking about the materials that are produced from forcing me to use my profession to disenchant something to be placed neatly, into your bags. Don't take me wrongfully, I want you to have the same chances of getting an item as me, but when it comes down to taking an item that you normally couldn't disenchant yourself, and giving you those materials you normally wouldn't ever see, it kind of becomes a knot in my hair. And boy howdy, have I got knots.

To sidestep that short roleplay, I really do get what blizzard was trying to do. Anytime someone got something that was uncommon, they either wanted to vendor it, or find a chanter to DE it for them for later enchants. Blizz was just trying to ease the annoyance of people always asking an enchanter to DE these 20 stacks of items, for free. Just like a mage gets asked for a port somewhere, every 10 seconds.

Now this is where people interject and say "they have the right to that item, just like you have the right to that item". I get it, yes they do have the right to the ITEM, just not what you can disenchant it for. Players are rolling for the item, not the mats you can get from the item. This has become a very big problem, and a key point other people point out, since everyone can take the materials from the item. Not everyone uses those materials for enchants later, but sell them on the AH.
  • "But enchanters, isn't that good that more of your mats are on the AH for purchasing?".

• No. Just because there's more materials on the AH, doesn't mean they are going down in prices.

Good intentions : Relive players of small annoyances.
    Bad outcome : Now everyone can take a piece of that pie.

I can't really relate this to other profession, because really, enchanting is one of a kind. We get our mats like no other profession does, and in the manner we do, it causes friction between players. Items are really a short fuse topic between players, and even greens can cause chaos. I would just like to see something done about it, in a fashion that suits everyone. So I thought I might throw the first pitch.

Just let the enchanters have the option to DE the items?

See, was that so scary?

Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #35 - June 6, 2011, 8:16 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    What if disenchanting was always an option when rolling on items in dungeons, regardless of people's professions?
    Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #417 - June 7, 2011, 1:03 a.m.
    Blizzard Post
    06/06/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Annathraxis
    Why are Enchanting mats the ONLY mat that everyone feels entitled to have free access too?

I would guess because they're the only ones 'earned' by the entire group for their efforts in defeating enemies and bosses.

I think if the group had to collectively fight a mining node boss for five minutes or so, there would be a point there in letting other professions work the same way. I just don't think they're parallels at all.

But this is all hypothetical discussion, so let's not get too worked up. If it can be helped. Please.